+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Attacking fluency takes a break in throwback Cardiff win.

Attacking fluency takes a break in throwback Cardiff win.

Re: Attacking fluency takes a break in throwback Cardiff win.

I enjoyed that read - and some great points.

I'd like to add that I thought Peltier was my mom. He was so solid. I can't remember Ipswich creating anything against him and he also did well in the air against the big men.

Manga had a shaky few minutes, but like at Bristol he and Connolly got on the end of virtually everything in the box.

Overall though it was attritional stuff against a physical side.
    A draw wouldn't have been unfair in us and we pretty much got the reward that we deserved more from Tuesday's game.

I'm also worried about tiredness in a few and hope we can get 3 points at Reading then regroup over the break for a busy run in which includes some tough games and 2 midweek aways

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I enjoyed that read - and some great points.

I'd like to add that I thought Peltier was my mom. He was so solid. I can't remember Ipswich creating anything against him and he also did well in the air against the big men.

Manga had a shaky few minutes, but like at Bristol he and Connolly got on the end of virtually everything in the box.

Overall though it was attritional stuff against a physical side.
    A draw wouldn't have been unfair in us and we pretty much got the reward that we deserved more from Tuesday's game.

I'm also worried about tiredness in a few and hope we can get 3 points at Reading then regroup over the break for a busy run in which includes some tough games and 2 midweek aways
    Peltier was my MOM as well. I think Immers is getting better each game and puts a good shift in. Great result today. Roll on Reading.
    Spedger

Good read and some good points made. On reflection I agree with Mowers view that Peltier won his duel on the pitch but I still feel we lost the rest and we were fortunate Ipswich did not have the skill to capitalise.

I also think/hope that tiredness was a factor in this, so there's a good chance that a weeks rest will help enormously.

However we all saw the game, it was a great physical effort against a strong side and the points are most welcome!

Good report, agreed with all of it. I would also observe that Immers is a hugely valuable asset up front in games like this where we are trying to preserve a lead - he offers a constant physical threat and pressure to the opposition defence when we are trying to clear our lines which Jones and Mason never did (due to lack of effort and strength respectively). I think we therefore invite less pressure on ourselves than we did in the first half of the season, so the disappointing capitulations are less likely to happen.

A very good read as usual Paul. I was disappointed to see Tom Lawrence on the bench as I thought he looked dangerous for us on the right against Leeds and less so when obliged to play on the left after Whitts substitution. However, i was not quite as impressed with Noone's performance as a sub on Tuesday as you appear to be. I didn't think his performance then justified him replacing Lawrence on Saturday. On Tuesday Noone looked good bringing the ball out from our half and running towards the Leeds defence but, as they backed off, the inevitable happened, he usually cut inside when faced with the massed ranks of Leeds defenders and either was forced to shift the ball out to the left to Lawrence/Ameobi or unsuccessfully thread a ball through. Getting behind the defence was never the first option as it is his less preferred foot. If course Slade does not appear to believe in the outrageous concept of playing a left footed wide player on the left and similarly on the right as he could have done on Tuesday. Perhaps Noone's return to fitness will now mean that Lawrence's future appearances may be primarily from the bench which, in my view, will be disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    A very good read as usual Paul. I was disappointed to see Tom Lawrence on the bench as I thought he looked dangerous for us on the right against Leeds and less so when obliged to play on the left after Whitts substitution. However, i was not quite as impressed with Noone's performance as a sub on Tuesday as you appear to be. I didn't think his performance then justified him replacing Lawrence on Saturday. On Tuesday Noone looked good bringing the ball out from our half and running towards the Leeds defence but, as they backed off, the inevitable happened, he usually cut inside when faced with the massed ranks of Leeds defenders and either was forced to shift the ball out to the left to Lawrence/Ameobi or unsuccessfully thread a ball through. Getting behind the defence was never the first option as it is his less preferred foot. If course Slade does not appear to believe in the outrageous concept of playing a left footed wide player on the left and similarly on the right as he could have done on Tuesday. Perhaps Noone's return to fitness will now mean that Lawrence's future appearances may be primarily from the bench which, in my view, will be disappointing.
    We grew up in an era where right footed wingers played on the right and left footers on the left Rob and so the development of the last decade or so where this situation has often been reversed grates a little. We want our wingers to go on the outside of their full backs and cross from the bye line, but that seems better suited to when we had a Kenwyne Jones type player in the middle - Pilkington's not bad in the air and Immers will get his head on a few crosses, but, generally, I think big centrebacks would fancy their chances of winning crosses pulled back from the bye line. When Noone cuts inside and crosses with his left foot you can get those awful sort of situations for defenders and goalkeepers where they know the slightest touch can see the ball deflected into the net - the cross he put over when Zohore hit the bar on Tuesday was a beauty which was just begging to be turned into a goal.
    I agree that Noone can be predictable with his cutting in and his right foot is good enough for him to mix things up a bit and try to go on the outside of his marker sometimes and still produce a decent cross - Lawrence seems to have the knack of being able to take on his marker on the inside or outside, thereby automatically making that person's job a bit tougher, whereas if you were marking Noone, you are fairly safe in thinking that four times out of five, he's going to cut in.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 14-03-16 at 06:10.