+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ko Samui

Ko Samui

I'm in the initial stages of planning a winter break for Febuaryish next year, I would love to do Sri Lanka, but feel I would be itching to see so much away from any base location it wouldn't be the relaxing holiday the bride wants. Having holidayed in Vietnam a couple of years ago would like to return, but again more for seeing different places rather that a 'chill' holiday.

So I've decided on Ko Samui and would be grateful of advice from anyone who's been. Thinking about staying a couple of nights in Bangkok, but again would be interested in on advice on if that's a good idea and more importantly worth doing.

Ta

Re: Ko Samui

I went there in 2004 .. so I don't know how relevant. Try and stay in one of the quiet hotels (ones with your own hut) outside the main town (if that's your thing) and take one of the frequent bench taxi/buses in. Nice enough island ... kick-boxing shows, snorkelling, diving eye etc and you can always take trips to Ko phi Phi etc.

I've done it a few times around the same time you are talking and the weather was brilliant.

We stayed in Bangkok for a few days then flew down to Samui (we had kids with us otherwise the train would be a decent experience). We stayed on Chewang beach for about 4 or five days then moved over to the next resort called Lamai beach. This breaks it up a bit and they are only 20 minutes apart so not difficult to travel.

Chewang is the busiest part of the island with a great nightlife, but the beaches were quiet enough for you to be able to relax and without feeling like there are people everywhere. It was in the night the place came alive, so if you enjoy a busy night time then stay here.

Lamai was a bit more chilled out but still had enough to do in the night to not get bored. The beach isn't as good though but still a nice place.

I suppose it depends what you want to do. By relaxing do you mean reading a book on a beach for a few weeks and home by 10pm or just chilling on a beach then going for a party in the night to unwind.

There are quieter areas of Samui than the two I mentioned as they are probably the busiest two areas, but also the most fun imo.

Have you considered langkawi in Malaysia.
    Nice island near Thailand. The entire island is duty free in a bid to encourage tourism.

The water is a bit murky for snorkelling or diving but otherwise it's great.

Vincent Tan has a really nice hotel there too apparently.

Found ko samui a bit of a dump, not that nice, bit touristy etc... If you like to travel and were considering Sri Lanka why don't you just go to India?? So much culture, beautiful beaches, places to go. Not stuck on an island etc...

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Found ko samui a bit of a dump, not that nice, bit touristy etc... If you like to travel and were considering Sri Lanka why don't you just go to India?? So much culture, beautiful beaches, places to go. Not stuck on an island etc...
    Cheers all, I'm sure I will change my mind many time before booking.

2 nights in Bangkok is more than enough, Koch samui again 2/3 nights max, small Ireland with not to much to do, for me Phuket was the best, spent the most time there, never been to pattaya I'm sure that would be good as well, plenty of trannies if your into that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Cheers all, I'm sure I will change my mind many time before booking.
    We stayed on Koh Samui last year around the same time of year, weather was excellent. We stayed in Chaweng, which is the best option as its lively if you want it at night, yet, if you stay at the quieter end of the resort, you can really chill out. My advice would be to stay at Poppies Hotel, which is number one on Tripadvisor for a reason, its a cracking 5 star, boutique hotel right on the beach.
    We also stayed 5 nights on Koh Tao, which is a lot more chilled out and is still popular with backpackers, great beach and bar scene, yet there also is a luxurious side to it, here we stayed in a 2 bed villa with infinity pool, which was awesome.
    You only need two nights in Bangkok, as its hectic and you just need to see the main two temples and the rest is shopping malls! Just use it as a stepping stone to get to the islands.
    If you need any further details, I will dig the name of the villa out for you.

Me and a mate stayed at The Penninsula in Bangkok (lush hotel!) then Sala Samui on Koh Samui - quiet resort but if you want to chill it's good - and near the busy part too.