+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: One last win, but no Play Off spot for Under 21s.

One last win, but no Play Off spot for Under 21s.

Re: One last win, but no Play Off spot for Under 21s.

Thanks for the report Bob. Yet another enjoyable read. I only wish that I lived nearer to Cardiff as I think that I would enjoy these DVP games as much as the first team ones.

Anyway last night I watched the Spurs/West Brom game and although I think the pressure got to Spurs at the end, it really was great to see how their team of relative youngsters moved the ball around, often on a one touch basis. Also their two fullbacks went forward with such pace and control. My purpose in saying this is to express the hope that we can use some of talented youngsters in the same way next season. To do so we need a change of philosophy at managerial level or perhaps more beneficially, a change of Manager!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    Thanks for the report Bob. Yet another enjoyable read. I only wish that I lived nearer to Cardiff as I think that I would enjoy these DVP games as much as the first team ones.

Anyway last night I watched the Spurs/West Brom game and although I think the pressure got to Spurs at the end, it really was great to see how their team of relative youngsters moved the ball around, often on a one touch basis. Also their two fullbacks went forward with such pace and control. My purpose in saying this is to express the hope that we can use some of talented youngsters in the same way next season. To do so we need a change of philosophy at managerial level or perhaps more beneficially, a change of Manager!!
    I want Leicester to win the title, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if Spurs won it because I rate them as the best footballing team in the Premier League this season. Being fair to Russell Slade, I should say that I've enjoyed far more games during the second half of this season than I have done at any other time under his management, but there just isn't the pace, athleticism and craft in our play that you see from others in the Championship (e.g. Brighton, Middlesbrough, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday), let alone Spurs.

When you compare what we saw during the first two thirds of last season with what we've seen occasionally in recent months, it would appear as if there has been one change of managerial philosophy at the club already since Russell Slade arrived, but it would need one even more drastic than the conversion from thud and blunder long ball hoofers to the more patient, and successful, passing style of the last fourteen months or so for it to result in the transformation you hope for - I just don't think it would happen under this manager.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I want Leicester to win the title, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if Spurs won it because I rate them as the best footballing team in the Premier League this season. Being fair to Russell Slade, I should say that I've enjoyed far more games during the second half of this season than I have done at any other time under his management, but there just isn't the pace, athleticism and craft in our play that you see from others in the Championship (e.g. Brighton, Middlesbrough, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday), let alone Spurs.

When you compare what we saw during the first two thirds of last season with what we've seen occasionally in recent months, it would appear as if there has been one change of managerial philosophy at the club already since Russell Slade arrived, but it would need one even more drastic than the conversion from thud and blunder long ball hoofers to the more patient, and successful, passing style of the last fourteen months or so for it to result in the transformation you hope for - I just don't think it would happen under this manager.

Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks for that, and all the other reports throughout the season. Very interesting and informative.

The counter-attacking was impressive last night, especially as the Palace lads were athletic and pacy themselves. The one near the end was terrific. Even though Kennedy should've done better, it was still good to see him leading the charge that late in the game. He suffers a bit in comparison to Harris on nights like that but his attitude and fitness seemed fine. Hopefully the pair of them can force their way into the reckoning next season, I've seen enough of Whitts and Noone as wide men to last me a lifetime.

An excellent couple of posts from you and BlueToujours. The Dvp side don't always get it right but the will is there to play a good style of football and it's been that way for the past few seasons, the same goes for the Academy I gather. It wouldn't require a massive upheaval at the club for the first team to become a consistently good footballing side but, like you say, I just can't see it ever happening under Slade.