+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And we are still giving aid to India

And we are still giving aid to India

Re: And we are still giving aid to India

Yep, they are still giving them aid, and it is not 100% certain that it is going to stop, all talk at the moment

It stopped last year, it should have stopped a lot earlier.

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/From...w/50388300.cms

The biggest issue here is how a country with a space program has the sort of inequality you see on the streets there.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

The biggest issue here is how a country with a space program has the sort of inequality you see on the streets there.
    I'm in two minds about this. On the face of it, giving aid to a a country that has a space program and a nuclear weapons program seems illogical. However, having witnessed first hand the extreme poverty of many Indians I hope the Government didn't just pull the plug. I hope they pointed the Indian government to the suffering in many many places in India and suggested they needed to rethink their priorities.

Sadly, I have the feeling that more Indian people are now likely to suffer because the UK has stopped giving aid. Hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

According to an inequality index (can't link it ATM, on my phone) the UK has greater inequality than India.

So it has stopped
    Quote from your link

"However, British media reported in early December that fresh Whitehall statistics showed that despite the UK promise to cut aid to India, there appeared to be a spike in development spending which rose to £279 million in 2014 from £268 million in the previous year" and

spending on technical assistance programmes 'focusing on sharing skills and experience' would continue beyond the end of this year.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz49SxnFbsT
    Last edited by Igovernor; 23-05-16 at 08:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    So it has stopped
    Quote from your link

"However, British media reported in early December that fresh Whitehall statistics showed that despite the UK promise to cut aid to India, there appeared to be a spike in development spending which rose to £279 million in 2014 from £268 million in the previous year" and

spending on technical assistance programmes 'focusing on sharing skills and experience' would continue beyond the end of this year.

The Daily Fail, you know the ccmb rules

So it has stopped
    Quote from your link

It says exactly the same as it does in my link above, they said in 2012 they'd stop with a 4 year wind down and there was an increase in 2014 but it stopped at the start of 2016.

Read what people post before responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    I'm in two minds about this. On the face of it, giving aid to a a country that has a space program and a nuclear weapons program seems illogical. However, having witnessed first hand the extreme poverty of many Indians I hope the Government didn't just pull the plug. I hope they pointed the Indian government to the suffering in many many places in India and suggested they needed to rethink their priorities.

Sadly, I have the feeling that more Indian people are now likely to suffer because the UK has stopped giving aid. Hope I am wrong.
    Exactly how I feel I've never seen poverty like I did in India.

The daily mail is only the last bit about spending on technical assistance, but the bbc has also said the same, we are still giving millions of aid to india and will continue to do so, be it that we will pay private companies to do the assistance etc, the long and short of it we are still paying out

see my last post above, you want to get your facts right before posting

The daily mail is only the last bit about spending on technical assistance, but the bbc has also said the same, we are still giving millions of aid to india and will continue to do so, be it that we will pay private companies to do the assistance etc, the long and short of it we are still paying out
    So not aid then? You must realise the political motivation behind keeping countries like India sweet with grants like this?

Less than 1% our gdp does on aid btw. I'd be more than happy to increase that too.

Aid by any other name, we are still giving aid to them but through a third party, pedantic is the word that comes to mind,

And you don't think we are getting anything back? Almost all of our aid comes with strings attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    And you don't think we are getting anything back? Almost all of our aid comes with strings attached.
    There was a kerfuffle between Australia and Indonesia last year. The aussies were upset that one of their countrymen was being executed for drug trafficking and the PM pointed out that they give lots of aid to Indonesia so perhaps they should cut him a little slack.

An extreme example but there are strings attached, no doubt.

Aid by any other name, we are still giving aid to them but through a third party, pedantic is the word that comes to mind,
    It isn't aid.

It isn't aid, there's nothing pedantic about it.

At least this isn't as bad as you suggesting we should leave the eu so we can regulate Chinese steel better.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    According to an inequality index (can't link it ATM, on my phone) the UK has greater inequality than India.
    I don't know what index that is but the UK has nothing to compare with the poverty & conditions that millions of Indians live in. I've been lucky enough to travel extensively throughout the world and I'm currently splitting my time between India & the UK. I've seen poverty in different guises on several continents but nothing to compare with India.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I don't know what index that is but the UK has nothing to compare with the poverty & conditions that millions of Indians live in. I've been lucky enough to travel extensively throughout the world and I'm currently splitting my time between India & the UK. I've seen poverty in different guises on several continents but nothing to compare with India.
    Nothing quite prepares you, as a Westerner, to see a group of kids walk up to you holding out their hands for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    You're right, I'm just saying what I read. It's called the Gini coefficient if you want to read about it more, it's to do with income inequality. UK is on 36, India on 33. (0 = perfect equality, 100 total inequality)

I think we're still giving aid to most countries ...... but we can't even give aid to our poor/public services.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC_Urawa_Reds View Post
    I think we're still giving aid to most countries ...... but we can't even give aid to our poor/public services.
    Really?

We could if people didn't vote for parties that don't want to.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/63394/how-b...ow-is-it-spent

£11.4bn spent on aid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34176846

From 2015.