Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
I think its a nonsense as stated there is only one fruit picking job advertised on the government approved job website in the UK. So where is the opportunity for youngsters to pick up this work.

Farmers are clearly using other means to get staff, i would suggest that route is agency.

Youngsters would have a quick turnover (students working for a set time in the summer holiday, people doing something until something else turns up, etc) for this sort of work, so the Farmer would have to keep hiring and firing, whereas the agency would offer staff for a set term for a set price, which is much more attractive for the Farmer.

What the Farmer cannot find is a market of youngsters that will give him the solid dependency that an agency supplying European workers can offer, and that's fair enough, i don't think it should be used as a slight on the people from this country.

I personally cannot see brexit happening, and even if it does happen i cannot see the UK keeping both the free market without accepting freedom of movement.
Not sure that the method of recruiting his employees is that relevant - the farmer is clearly getting migrants and Brits working for him, it just seems that, generally speaking, the Brits aren't as good at it and, according to him, are more likely to walk away after a few days.

I tend to agree with you about Brexit, but I'd say we'll get a watered down version which will include the two criteria you mention that can be passed off as the public getting what they voted for.