+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Paul Pogba, is it just me?

Paul Pogba, is it just me?

Surely this is the biggest waste of money since Cardiff City bought a certain Scandinavian striker?

Pogba, on the biggest stage of his life was hardly inspiring, never bossed a midfield and never went past players at will. He was not scoring goals or getting assists in a French side that had a number of far more important playmakers.

Man Utd have spent an absolute fortune on a player who, to me, doesn't turn A game around on its head.

Bale and Ronaldo delivered in the Euros, Bale even more than Ronaldo. Griezman looked the part too but for me Pogba just looked a bloody good player. A 'bloody good player' doesn't justify the ridiculous amount spent on him.

Methinks the Mourinho bubble has burst and Man Utd will pay the price in more ways than one.

In no order, Griezman, Bale, Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo, Naymar,
    Ramsey, Iniesta, would all get in a team ahead of him.

The world has gone mad, or actually, with the money spent on Stones, maybe just Madchester?

Re: Paul Pogba, is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by the leader View Post
    Surely this is the biggest waste of money since Cardiff City bought a certain Scandinavian striker?

Pogba, on the biggest stage of his life was hardly inspiring, never bossed a midfield and never went past players at will. He was not scoring goals or getting assists in a French side that had a number of far more important playmakers.

Man Utd have spent an absolute fortune on a player who, to me, doesn't turn A game around on its head.

Bale and Ronaldo delivered in the Euros, Bale even more than Ronaldo. Griezman looked the part too but for me Pogba just looked a bloody good player. A 'bloody good player' doesn't justify the ridiculous amount spent on him.

Methinks the Mourinho bubble has burst and Man Utd will pay the price in more ways than one.

The world has gone mad, or actually, with the money spent on Stones, maybe just Madchester?
    I see the boring one is doing what he does best/worst already - more bollox from Mourinho.

Agree about Pogba, but I've got a feeling that Stones might just turn out to be a good signing for Man City given the way the market has gone this summer.

Agree with everything you've said here With regard to Mourinho's bubble bursting, let's hope so. Would love it if they failed to get in the Champions League. Mind you, I'd love to see all the "big" 5 plastic teams fail this season,and every other season come to that.. Hope another less fancied team win the league again, Spurs finish above Arsenal, and another unfancied team makes the top four

Quote Originally Posted by the leader View Post

Agree. He's a great player, no doubt about that for me. But to break the transfer record? Surely you pay that for the game changers, players who score and excite fans.

The idea they let go for free in the first place and now pay that sort of money is laughable in itself.

Even someone like Suarez would be far more worth that sort of money.

Sorry, just realised I didn't include this link in my last message in this thread;-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37027191

Completely agree. A totally over rated player and has been for a couple of years. His entire reputation has been built on the YouTube/FIFA generation as his highlights reel looks impressive but his overall game is very underwhelming. You show someone his best of video on YouTube and you could trick them into thinking he's world class but his eye catching goals are few and far between and he does nothing to influence a game.

If he had a outstanding Euro's, in which he should have been the main attartcion in the France team, then I could understand the hype but I have literally no idea where it's coming from. The ways in which Man U announced his signing says it all to me, seems to be more of a marketing tool than anything else.

Like you say, Ronaldo and Bale set the Premier League alight before commnading such a huge fee but from what I've seen Pogba hasn't set anything alight, domestically or internatinally and lets face it, that's while he's playing his football in an inferior league. The Italian league makes very good players look world class at times but I can't even see that Pogba has done that!

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    Completely agree. A totally over rated player and has been for a couple of years. His entire reputation has been built on the YouTube/FIFA generation as his highlights reel looks impressive but his overall game is very underwhelming. You show someone his best of video on YouTube and you could trick them into thinking he's world class but his eye catching goals are few and far between and he does nothing to influence a game.

If he had a outstanding Euro's, in which he should have been the main attartcion in the France team, then I could understand the hype but I have literally no idea where it's coming from. The ways in which Man U announced his signing says it all to me, seems to be more of a marketing tool than anything else.

Like you say, Ronaldo and Bale set the Premier League alight before commnading such a huge fee but from what I've seen Pogba hasn't set anything alight, domestically or internatinally and lets face it, that's while he's playing his football in an inferior league. The Italian league makes very good players look world class at times but I can't even see that Pogba has done that!
    The way it was announced makes me hate football.
    A ****ing music video to announce a signing? A signing of a footballer?

Its a look at me signing. Keeps interest in the club high around the world. Will pay for itself in shirts. They didnt pay that much for his footballing skills. They paid that much as a business investment.

I have had to laugh at all the "oh look how much manu and mancity have spent and arsenal have signed no-one". Well them manchesters didn't do that well. If you look at money spent and the returns Arsenal are probably top of the league. With manu and Mancity probably only just above cardiff.

I actually think he's a great player even if he didn't have the best euros.

People will say "he isn't worth the money" but Juventus didn't want to see and man united wanted to sign a huge name and with their turnover it's not really that big a gamble for them, especially considering he's still only 21 and massively marketable.

The fact there is this much money in football and that weird music video is shocking mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I actually think he's a great player even if he didn't have the best euros.

People will say "he isn't worth the money" but Juventus didn't want to see and man united wanted to sign a huge name and with their turnover it's not really that big a gamble for them, especially considering he's still only 21 and massively marketable.

The fact there is this much money in football and that weird music video is shocking mind.
    He's a fair bit older than 21, think he's 23 or maybe even 24.

He didn't have a good Euro's because he wasn't played in his best position I think he'll be a great signing for them

Over 70 million pounds for 2-3 years max of peak gonzalo higuain is by far the worst deal in the history of football.

He wouldn't get in my top ten strikers in the world let alone be one of the most expensive players of all time.

I'd rather harry kane for a start.

CpQrCnzWIAAwfcg-686x1024.jpg

Pogba could be properly world class.

And I am all for it as I always want the premier league to be the best league.

It may not be a bad deal considering liverpool in recent years have spent over 30 on andy carroll, over 30 on benteke and well over 30 for Mane.

Getting next to nothing in return.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 10-08-16 at 10:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Agree. He's a great player, no doubt about that for me. But to break the transfer record? Surely you pay that for the game changers, players who score and excite fans.

The idea they let go for free in the first place and now pay that sort of money is laughable in itself.

Even someone like Suarez would be far more worth that sort of money.
    He didn't get many goals last year but most are ridiculous screamers most players wouldn't even attempt.

The way I look at it is surely you would make your team better by spending the £89 million on 3 players not just 1

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He's a fair bit older than 21, think he's 23 or maybe even 24.
    23 so still very young considering what he's achieved and how composed he looks.

Offer them Le Fondre. I'm not saying £80 million or anything, between £35 million and £50 million and I think we can get a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Offer them Le Fondre. I'm not saying £80 million or anything, between £35 million and £50 million and I think we can get a deal.
    Bogoff deal with Macheda ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Bogoff deal with Macheda ?
    Now you're just being silly.

All record transfers pay back in the end just look at Kaka,Shearer,Zidane, Figo ,Ronaldo, even Willy Groves in1893 who went for a mighty £100 .

I understand Utd are forecasting 45 million pay back for Pogba in merchandise/ commercial values , it's a commercial business , never mind the value the Champions Leaguee qualification will bring , speculate to accumulate .

Totally agree with OP; a good player but nowhere near worth that amount. Even if you take ability out, by definition of the position he plays he is never going to be a game-changer and that's what you pay the big bucks for.

As for people saying it is a shrewd piece of business - giving something away for free and then paying £90m to get it back doesn't smack of fine financial acumen to me.

Genuinely think Mourinho will be a failure at United. Unlike at Chelsea, the influential figures behind the scenes - the likes of Charlton and Ferguson - won't be impressed with his bullsh*t and the way he handles certain things. The fans won't take to his boring, tactical football the same way they didn't take to Van Gaal's. And it's interesting to see the total contempt and lack of respect he's treated Schweinsteiger with, who, at this stage in his career and with what he has achieved, is absurd. The Bayern president was quoted as saying that players will think twice about going to work with him, especially given the circumstances he left Chelsea in.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    Totally agree with OP; a good player but nowhere near worth that amount. Even if you take ability out, by definition of the position he plays he is never going to be a game-changer and that's what you pay the big bucks for.

As for people saying it is a shrewd piece of business - giving something away for free and then paying £90m to get it back doesn't smack of fine financial acumen to me.

Genuinely think Mourinho will be a failure at United. Unlike at Chelsea, the influential figures behind the scenes - the likes of Charlton and Ferguson - won't be impressed with his bullsh*t and the way he handles certain things. The fans won't take to his boring, tactical football the same way they didn't take to Van Gaal's. And it's interesting to see the total contempt and lack of respect he's treated Schweinsteiger with, who, at this stage in his career and with what he has achieved, is absurd. The Bayern president was quoted as saying that players will think twice about going to work with him, especially given the circumstances he left Chelsea in.
    I think the Schweinsteiger stuff last week has been nonsense. If he doesn't fit into a managers plans I don't really see what they are expected to do?

The first team would train together practicing routines, I don't see why you would want someone who isn't going to be involved in that there.