Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I really think Jamie Bird could offer more than anything in the first team squad playing off Lambert. Jamie is just 18 but good enough to get a chance in the squad given the dire position we are in with the desperate scoring record.
I'm not convinced Bird is ready for the first team yet, but that may be because I'm still not recognising the reality of our current situation. I was looking at him as someone who could be given a chance towards the end of the season if we were in mid table, but, with that not looking likely to happen now, I think the fact that we cannot bring in players for nearly four months should mean that, more than in previous years, games like this afternoon's should be seen as a chance for our younger players to stake a proper claim for a first team place.

If Bird was to do something which matches his brilliant goal against Colchester a fortnight ago, then, yes, serious consideration should be given to including him in the squad at Rotherham. The same sort of thing should apply to the whole Development team - there's been a perception that no matter what players did in these games, it was very unlikely to get them into the senior squad, but that needs to change because the way this club has worked when it comes to progression into the first team in recent years has to be reconsidered at a club where the first team looks so bereft of ability and confidence.