Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
How is it dismissive to use the phrase 'hurt feelings'? What else is it other than that? If he didn't find Gazza's joke funny and instead got pissed off then how else are we to describe it other than 'hurt feelings'?

There's nothing mystical about non-white people, their feelings get hurt the same as everyone else's. Skin colour doesn't have a monopoly on being offended.

Nobody likes having the piss taken out of them but some people are taught how to deal with it when it inevitably happens as a part of life and others are taught that they should spend their lives being outraged about it.

As for you doubting I've been a victim of racism, as a kid I was once called a 'honky' by my black next-door neighbour. I don't recall if they ended up in the dock for it, I'll have to check.
I suppose that for a Black person, the connotations run a whole lot deeper than just 'Hurt Feelings' if only it just was that. I find it incredible that you can be that blase about a subject that has huge historical weight behind it, singling a person out due to the colour of their skin isn't as simple as a throw away remark or insult, there are huge historical connotations behind what some percieve as harmless piss taking. Sure, white people have feelings, and they do get hurt, but the offence you may or may not have felt when your neighbour called you 'Honky' stopped right there, you would have grown to know that his racist comments, as wrong as they were, held no weight, and wouldn't affect your chances in life. There are plenty of black people who have been discriminated against for being black, and that alone. When dickheads like Gazza make moronic observations in the way he did, it manifests in such a way that is beyond being offended.