+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hard brexit for Britain, whether we want it or not

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Hard brexit for Britain, whether we want it or not

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    75% of revenue from FTSE100 companies comes from abroad so it is a pretty darn poor measure of the success of/confidence in the UK economy. The FTSE250 is a slightly better measure as only 50% of revenue comes from abroad, after diving up and down for a couple of months it is at the same levels as this time last year. Also if you break it down industry to industry, the differences are even more stark.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses a lamp post, for support rather than illumination". The FTSE being illegitimately wheeled out by the brexit gang is a great example of this in action.
    I'm not sure I follow your first sentence? I'm no economist but external investment seems like a good thing for the economy for me.

As for the drunken stats comment, I'd agree it was merely pointing out how you wish to look at it, but a weak pound doesn't automatically mean bad news for the economy as a drunken man pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    I'm not sure I follow your first sentence? I'm no economist but external investment seems like a good thing for the economy for me.

As for the drunken stats comment, I'd agree it was merely pointing out how you wish to look at it, but a weak pound doesn't automatically mean bad news for the economy as a drunken man pointed out.
    Their revenue is worth more if the pound is weak, the value of their company goes up if their revenue is worth more.

The FTSE100 rising is a predictable symptom of a weak pound and not a signal of confidence.

As for a weak currency being good. Maybe I am being negative again but it isn't a club I would join through choice...

Weak Currency.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Their revenue is worth more if the pound is weak, the value of their company goes up if their revenue is worth more.

The FTSE100 rising is a predictable symptom of a weak pound and not a signal of confidence.

As for a weak currency being good. Maybe I am being negative again but it isn't a club I would join through choice...

Weak Currency.jpg
    That drunken man only apply to one side of the stats?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    That drunken man only apply to one side of the stats?
    The point I am making is pretty obvious, the kind of lack of confidence in our currency is reserved for some really really weak economies.

I hadn't drawn any conclusions before seeing the evidence.

The point I am making is pretty obvious, the kind of lack of confidence in our currency is reserved for some really really weak economies.

Yes I get it, your stats are good, any others are bad......

Do as I say, not as I do.........

the pound has been rising steadily from a low point of 1.12 to 1.18

When you take into account that half of that fall was done on purpose by BoE then it is not so bad. BoE clearly see a weaker pound as a positive to get through Brexit. So where does that leave us. Is a weaker pound bad or good? It certainly makes us more competitive around the world, and that is the reasoning behind the BoE weakening the currency by arguably unnecessarily reducing interest rates.

I know from my point of view that my goods purchased from China in USD have gone up. But so have my exports. Thanks to the weaker, more competitive pound my business is now a net exporter. Sales abroad are up 100%. And now make around 40% of my sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    When you take into account that half of that fall was done on purpose by BoE then it is not so bad. BoE clearly see a weaker pound as a positive to get through Brexit. So where does that leave us. Is a weaker pound bad or good? It certainly makes us more competitive around the world, and that is the reasoning behind the BoE weakening the currency by arguably unnecessarily reducing interest rates.

I know from my point of view that my goods purchased from China in USD have gone up. But so have my exports. Thanks to the weaker, more competitive pound my business is now a net exporter. Sales abroad are up 100%. And now make around 40% of my sales.
    Out of interest, how many of your sales abroad are within the EU?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Out of interest, how many of your sales abroad are within the EU?
    The proportion has gone down the last few weeks as the Euro has significantly weakened recently. Heading for 1:1 with US Dollar if you believe the reports.

Done some basic figures on this weekends sales. Euro sales account for 50% of export sales, USD 40%. Total exports accounted for 45% of my weekend sales.

This seems like a list of countries who have upset George Soros and friends