Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
The problem with the NHS in this country is the hysteria that surrounds any sort of reform (badly required. If we are to sort out the NHS funding issues and make it more sustainable then we must first deal with the bleating left. Currently the situation is untenable and whilst I agree that the NHS should be free at the point of use there are many ways to raise money.

First of all we can all contribute something to prescriptions, a flat £10 rate for all prescriptions (obvious exemptions for pensioners and the disabled). Free prescriptions sounds great but it's not realistic and a waste of money.

Fines. If you miss an appointment you should be fined, heavily. I have long advocated that we need to make more money from ignorance and stupidity. If someone misses an appointment for no reason then they should face a hefty fine. There are huge waiting times at the moment and I heard a statistic the other day that shocked me in regards to how many people just don't bother to turn up.

GPs earn enough, they should work weekends and evenings. I haven't been to see my GP for over ten years. I have often thought about it only to ring up and find that I can't see them for a month or so.

Finally we are missing a trick from not making money from the unhealthy. The NHS should charge thousands for people who want non emergency operations. Gastric bands for instance. This could raise millions for the NHS whilst also making sure fat people aren't a burden on the NHS in the future.
Free prescriptions may not be completely viable but I was shocked during the years where at Uni in England I had to pay for medicine to get better and go back to "work" but could have as many plastic bags as I wanted free of charge and screw the environment. Therefore I am in agreement with the general direction of making money from unhealthy behaviours in order to "reward" healthier choices; we might not be able to focus on NHS treatments but a sugar tax to raise funds for sporting facilities to reduce the nations weight and strain that weight related illnesses creates seems sensible. I see you have brought up pensioners though when we know that some pensioners have been benefiting all their lives while others are in desperate need.

There does seem to be a degree of taking the NHS for granted and people missing appt or showing up two hours early or two hours late and expecting to be seen builds into that. Again, you cannot deny people treatment and focusing on the stick is unlikely to improve things. We really need a culture shift where the NHS is respected enough that people call in in good time.

I see your comment about the bleating left and raise the issue of the right allowing for private care but the expensive aftercare of this (or correcting the mistakes) falling back into the NHS hands.