Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
In all my years of school I think I met 3/4 teachers that I would class as going out of their way to truly teach the children.

In R.E lessons we spent 4 lessons watching schindlers list. History lessons we spread the titanic over multiple lessons. Anywhere near the end of term?. Films all day every day.

Our history teacher, who was one of the good ones, used to randomly take us to do P.E???.

A part time teacher, obviously not his fault, took the place of a full time geography teacher. For an entire term. He had a GCSE at geography, that is all.

I loved my school, I imagine a few on here went to it. It was in the troedyrhiw region

I have embarrassing maths skills myself. I had to have a tutor at GCSE level. In my current work everyone I know uses a calculator for the simplest of needs. I am literally talking addition of say 17 + 32.

Drama I think should be compulsory as well. The majority of kids that came out of my school could barely hold a conversation let alone talk or present to people. Myself included again!.

I know our strong welsh accent is ok between us, but english people Ive met have next to no idea what I am saying at times.

Our english teachers were pretty unexciting so people lost interest. Why is of mice and men so loved. Every school did it. Surely there are better options to interest kids?. Why do we do shakespeare?. They can look into that as adult if they want to.
I went to an ordinary comp in Cardiff but my history teacher had a double first and my English teacher gained his degree at Oxford University. I'm not sure if Of Mice and Men is loved particularly I think it's just easier to grade across schools if they all do the same text. It's either Of Mice and Men or To Kill a Mockingbird, these days - in my day we did Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. We also did The Iliad (Homer) and Macbeth (Shaky) and parts of the Canterbury Tales (Chaucer). I remember finding many lessons dead boring but I can't remember any of my teachers being inept.