+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bamba did push our physio over - pictures on the club website show it happening.

Bamba did push our physio over - pictures on the club website show it happening.

The extended highlights of the game on the club website have the best view of the incident I've seen so far. There is a slowed down close up of Douglas' challenge on Bamba (the picture quality isn't too great mind) and the challenge is a bit more naughty than I thought it was, but it's hardly the "leg breaker" and automatic red card offence that I've seen some claim it to be - definitely a free kick and, perhaps, a yellow card, but no more than that.

I would have expected there to be much more of a reaction from other City players if the tackle had been as bad as it has been made out to be by some, but they carry on playing while Bamba is down and it takes a while before the ball is put out for a throw in - hardly the actions of players incensed by a really bad tackle on one of their team mates.

It's when the physio comes on that things start getting a bit strange, because, for a while, Bamba allows him to get on with his job as normal. However, after about ten seconds, it's obvious that something happens which makes Bamba lose it and it's then that he shoves the physio and knocks him over - the force involved would not have been enough to knock him over if he had been stood up, but he was squatting as he treated Bamba and so could not keep his balance.

It certainly looks as if something was said or done to upset Bamba, but, given that he completely ignores the physio as he gets up and starts walking infield, it cannot have come from the poor bloke treating him who must have had the shock of his life. The commentator says that the nearest Ipswich player to Bamba as he was lying on the floor, David McGoldrick, has "clearly" said something to upset the City player and, perhaps, that's right, but, after a bit of pushing and shoving with him, Bamba seems less interested in continuing with that and more in speakign to either the ref or Douglas (who is being lectured by the official for his challenge).

From here, the coverage becomes much the same as in the pictures from Sky and Channel 5 we've already seen. Pilkington intervenes and gets shoved by Bamba for his trouble, Morrison then leads Bamba off to the sidelines, where he starts having a go at the fourth official, but the pictures show that the red card is only produced after Neil Warnock becomes involved - if anything, I'd say the ref was a bit slow in sending Bamba off given what had been going on before the clash with our manager.

Watching it all set me thinking of two things. Firstly, the part in that recent documentary about the game at West Brom where a team of black players took on a team of white players when George Berry told of how he snapped and went into the crowd to confront someone who had been racially abusing him as he walked off the pitch after a game and second, a reserve team game from around fifteen years ago at the old Leckwith stadium against Luton reserves where, in a match where there had barely been a foul, Des Hamilton suddenly knocked an opponent (his name was Bayliss I believe) down with a single punch to his face - Hamilton was walking off before the ref had got his red card out and it later emerged that he had been racially abused by the player he punched.

Bamba's reaction is like someone who has seen or heard something that makes him lose it and it does make me wonder if something was said to him about the colour of his skin, but, there is quite a bit to suggest that, whatever got Bamba upset, it was not of a racial nature;-

1. McGoldrick is black himself, so, to me at least, it would make no sense at all for him to say anything racist to Bamba.
    2. If there was a racist remark made by someone, there were a few other City players around who would have had to have heard it as well and yet, apart from those who were trying to calm Bamba down, there was no reaction at all from them when you would have thought they would have got involved to the extent that there would have been a much bigger fracas if something of a racial nature had been said.
    3. After the red card had been shown, Craig Noone comes to the touchline and it's pretty clear that he is not happy with what his colleague has done - if there had been something that had happened which would explain, or partly excuse, Bamba's behaviour, it's hard to imagine that Noone would have reacted as he did.
    4. I would have thought City would have issued some sort of statement on the matter by now if there had been an allegation or feeling that racist abuse was the reason why Bamba reacted as he did.

So, although there is now more of the incident available to Cardiff City World subscribers at least, if anything it only makes what upset Bamba so much harder to figure out.

Re: Bamba did push our physio over - pictures on the club website show it happening.

Thanks for confirming what I saw happen. From the stand it looked as if Sol pushed him over forcibly and my immediate reaction was WTF?
    Bamba was sent off for agression toward an Ipswich player I think seen by a fourth official?

Re: Bamba did push our physio over - pictures on the club website show it happening.

After he pushed the physio flying he got up and pushed a Ipswich player and that's what I thought at the time the red card was for.

This has the feeling of something bad has been said to him the mist has come down , he pushes whoever is near him away as you do in times of anger , he may have though the physio was an Ipswich player for a brief moment, how many times have you seen someone or yourself lose it yours/their mates try and calm you down, and for that brief moment they are all the enemy and you end up punching /pushing anyone . Its the "flight or fight " response caused by acute stress response.

The club do need to prepare a careful response , if its racial it a bigger issue and may need further investigation, and that of the overall referees performance on the day .

I have now read five different opinions on what the red card was given for.

Take your pick from: verbal abuse to the ref and/or Douglas, push on the Cardiff physio, push on Pilkington and/or an Ipwsich player, push on Warnock, or verbal abuse towards the 4th official. Maybe all of them?

While I'm at it I have also read a shed load of match blogs and reports which variously describe the Cardiff formation as: 4-4-2, 5-3-2, 3-5-2 and 4-5-1.

It's as if no one is at the same match!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Take your pick from: verbal abuse to the ref and/or Douglas, push on the Cardiff physio, push on Pilkington and/or an Ipwsich player, push on Warnock, or verbal abuse towards the 4th official. Maybe all of them?

While I'm at it I have also read a shed load of match blogs and reports which variously describe the Cardiff formation as: 4-4-2, 5-3-2, 3-5-2 and 4-5-1.

From the video on the club site, I'd say the first three of your possibilities can be ruled out because they all happened well before the ref is shown holding the red card up - the card is shown shortly after Warnock and Manga first get involved and before Manga shoves his manager - based on what the video shows, I'd say verbal abuse to the fourth official is the big favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    From the video on the club site, I'd say the first three of your possibilities can be ruled out because they all happened well before the ref is shown holding the red card up - the card is shown shortly after Warnock and Manga first get involved and before Manga shoves his manager - based on what the video shows, I'd say verbal abuse to the fourth official is the big favourite.
    I think you are right , It also looks like total confusion has replaced the need to act by official, players and managers , they are all so concerned about the event unfolding and the potential of violence taking place in and around them , he's a big lad, credit to our diminutive 67 manager , as he was not intimidating and did grab Sol .

I don't understand the point of this post bob.

You introduce the idea that Bamba's reaction could be the result of racial abuse then go on to give a number of reasons to show how unlikely that is. Why bring it up at all?

Also, let's not ignore the fact that physical violence is not an acceptable response to verbal insults of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post

You introduce the idea that Bamba's reaction could be the result of racial abuse then go on to give a number of reasons to show how unlikely that is. Why bring it up at all?

Also, let's not ignore the fact that physical violence is not an acceptable response to verbal insults of any kind.
    I was only bringing up a possibility that had been thought of by others - I know this because it's been mentioned to me by two or three people. When I saw Bamba sat receiving treatment from the physio one moment and then shoving him away as he got up the next, it gave a strong impression that something had happened to get Bamba to lose his temper, when previously he had seemed pretty calm.

The most likely thing to have provoked such a change must, surely, be that something had been said to him or about him that annoyed him - having watched a TV programme where a black player admitted confronting a spectator about racist insults he had been making, remembering what I had seen a black City player do after he had been insulted and heard those suggestions as to what prompted Bamba to do what he did, I became convinced for a while that there had been a racist remark directed at him, but then, as I thought about it more, the evidence pointed to this not being the case.

Unless I just happened to hear the only two or three people out there who thought there may be a racial element to what happened, there have to be others out there who had at least considered this, so I thought it would be worthwhile mentioning it, before explaining why I had come to believe it was not the case. I see nothing wrong with raising the subject when there are well known cases out there (Suarez/Evra for example) where there was racist abuse, especially when I was offering reasons as to why I believed it was not the case this time.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 12-12-16 at 14:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post

I suppose the whole reason for the debate is why the CCMB exists , I think the points made are worth evaluating as the club are so poor at providing a real response to this incident we are are all left to assume the facts perhaps a email to the club would be more appropriate ,as Paul is on the ball .

I have just watched the CCPlayer extended highlights and it seems the commentators got it right to say that McGoldrick must have said something to set Bamba off.

Although Bamba pushed the physio (Lee Southerwood) away so he could get straight up he wasn't angry with him. He set off towards McGoldrick and was sounding off at him and Varney (and the ref and Douglas) with Pilks getting in the way to stop him doing any more than verbals, before being pulled away to the sideline by Morrison (with the physio alongside).

The ref didn't come charging over with his red card until Bamba was being cuddled by Warnock - a good few seconds after the fourth official had been given an earful and a demonstration of the stamp from Douglas. Maybe it took the ref that long to find his card?

Major handbags and a massive over-reaction from Sol Bamba, but he was the original victim there - of a bad tackle at the very least.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-...r-sending-off/

Cardiff City defender Sol Bamba has issued an apology for his sending off against Ipswich on Saturday.

The centre-back was dismissed after becoming aggressive on the pitch and pushing a number of people, including his own manager Neil Warnock, in bizarre scenes.

I want to apologise to the Cardiff City supporters, my team-mates and manager for my conduct during Saturday’s game at Ipswich.

Whilst I was extremely angry with the challenge on me at the time, it did not condone my reaction and I accept that the referee had no choice but to show me a red card.

I’ve spoken to my manager and team-mates and apologised to them in person.

I’ve had a fantastic time at Cardiff City since joining in October and I look forward to returning. My intention will then be to make further amends with my performances on the pitch.

– SOL BAMBA
    Last updated Mon 12 Dec 2016

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-...r-sending-off/

Cardiff City defender Sol Bamba has issued an apology for his sending off against Ipswich on Saturday.

The centre-back was dismissed after becoming aggressive on the pitch and pushing a number of people, including his own manager Neil Warnock, in bizarre scenes.

I want to apologise to the Cardiff City supporters, my team-mates and manager for my conduct during Saturday’s game at Ipswich.

Whilst I was extremely angry with the challenge on me at the time, it did not condone my reaction and I accept that the referee had no choice but to show me a red card.

I’ve spoken to my manager and team-mates and apologised to them in person.

I’ve had a fantastic time at Cardiff City since joining in October and I look forward to returning. My intention will then be to make further amends with my performances on the pitch.

– SOL BAMBA
    Last updated Mon 12 Dec 2016
    Whatever the why's or what's, he's apologised now to the people concerned so let's draw a line under it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by old blue View Post
    Whatever the why's or what's, he's apologised now to the people concerned so let's draw a line under it and move on.
    Totally agree with that-move on!!

Some interesting comments from the Ispwich fans:

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/30771/

More sympathy than you would expect!

I'm not sure you can disregard some sort of personal and serious insult because other players don't react, but the statement does seem to try and draw a line under it rather than anything else. However, Bamba's record suggests he isn't overly violent or likely to act in a rash manner, perhaps he believed he head something but on reflection decided he hadn't and now doesn't want to bring it up. Warnock has suggested he felt apologetic before the game had even finished.

Whatever was the cause it is a big loss both for the next few games he'll miss and the 3 points we could have picked up in that game. Such a strange incident.

Meant to answer this yesterday, but forgot. As I understand it, we played what was a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 with Hoilett filling the same sort of number ten type role as he did against Huddersfield, Peltier at left back, Bennett left midfield and Gunnarsson getting forward more than he has done in most of Warnock's games so far.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I'm not sure you can disregard some sort of personal and serious insult because other players don't react, but the statement does seem to try and draw a line under it rather than anything else. However, Bamba's record suggests he isn't overly violent or likely to act in a rash manner, perhaps he believed he head something but on reflection decided he hadn't and now doesn't want to bring it up. Warnock has suggested he felt apologetic before the game had even finished.

Whatever was the cause it is a big loss both for the next few games he'll miss and the 3 points we could have picked up in that game. Such a strange incident.
    I read on BBC's website I think it was that Bamba's ban could well be for four matches, not three.