I think it needs to be said that around this time a year ago Vincent Tan was getting lots of praise from City fans, myself included, for his announcement that the conversion of debt into equity was going to go through. We were told that the major portion of the debt (around £67 million I believe) would be converted into equity by the end of the financial year ending 31/5/16 to be followed by five more conversions of £8 million portions going through over the coming years.

It's been confirmed that the first of those £8 million conversions has gone through, but, as far as I'm aware, the one of £67 million hasn't - it was said months ago that Government approval in Malaysia would be required for such a large transaction and the delay was down to that, but it seems an awful long time in happening and I'm afraid that the cynic in me is thinking that it might never go through.

Therefore, while I agree with the sentiments behind that message, the situation is not quite as the writer sets it out to be - we may be further away from being debt free now than we were a year ago.