+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: With Whitts gone..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: With Whitts gone..

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Because he went for a 2 year deal elsewhere.
    My point is that we have a few fans suggesting Whitts would still be one of the top midfielders in the Championship despite the fact that the best deal he could get was at a club in the division below.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My point is that we have a few fans suggesting Whitts would still be one of the top midfielders in the Championship despite the fact that the best deal he could get was at a club in the division below.
    That was not your point you were just trying to be a clever ****er.

No one on this thread is suggesting Whitts is still one of the top midfielders in the league but there's a few trying to blame him for all he ills at Cardiff City.

You usually use stats to back up your arguments and his stats still compare favourably in the division. Why don't you compare his assists and goals v the rest of our midfielders last season and see how he compares and then tell me he's not a championship standard footballer.

Finally, unless you are his agent, or a close friend, then you don't know what offers he had or his reason for dropping down a division. He says Mowbray sold him the club, wants to play the ball on the deck and wants him to be an integral part of that. He's 33 soon and only got 2/3 seasons left so perhaps he fancied a bit of that after the last 4/5 years have be spent playing hoofball. His first interview for Blackburn certainly suggests that.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That was not your point you were just trying to be a clever ****er.

No one on this thread is suggesting Whitts is still one of the top midfielders in the league but there's a few trying to blame him for all he ills at Cardiff City.

You usually use stats to back up your arguments and his stats still compare favourably in the division. Why don't you compare his assists and goals v the rest of our midfielders last season and see how he compares and then tell me he's not a championship standard footballer.

Finally, unless you are his agent, or a close friend, then you don't know what offers he had or his reason for dropping down a division. He says Mowbray sold him the club, wants to play the ball on the deck and wants him to be an integral part of that. He's 33 soon and only got 2/3 seasons left so perhaps he fancied a bit of that after the last 4/5 years have be spent playing hoofball. His first interview for Blackburn certainly suggests that.
    I would have thought that Whitts would still be a Championship footballer if the deal was right. If playing regularly was the deal clincher, then no Championship side has come close to offering him that. You don't have to be his agent or friend to guess that.

I wrote a piece on here a year or so ago suggesting that reliance on Whittingham's set pieces (where the vast majority of his assists came from in recent seasons) was arguably detrimental to the side. While it was an avenue in which we were successful, our midfield often struggled in open play with him being in there. There were two sides to the coin - keep Whittingham in and sacrifice midfield to an extent or shore up midfield a bit and sacrifice his set pieces.

I was sad to see him leave, but I firmly believe it's the best thing for the club. Sorry to have struck a nerve.