Quote Originally Posted by Glos Blue View Post
I agree with most of that; although I think that if Cobain hadn't blown his own brains out, Nirvana would've still had a few years at the top before they were found out. A generation of melancholic teenagers connected with them and it would've taken those teenagers to grow up to realise just how shit they were.

Musically poor and nonsense lyrically. As you say, Grohl's ability was far beyond the rest of the band. A perfect example is their Unplugged in New York album, where the most popular songs are cover versions. Watch Dave Grohl play drums in other projects post-Nirvana to see just how much he was held back.

The Foo's are perfect for him; big anthemic rock songs filled with loud guitar and heavy drums, they don't take themselves too seriously and aren't trying to be the voice of depressed teens. I could watch them all night!
In Utero massively exposed them. Their Reading performance, Bleach - both were amazing. As I said, Nevermind came off as utterly over produced when it was the rawness of the live performances and Bleach that really made their name - that's why I don't think they'd have lasted past In Utero even if Cobain hadn't committed suicide.

It's not even Grohl's drumming talent - first Foo album, he played every instrument. Every f*cking instrument.That's just incredibly ridiculous because that album was amazing.

Your last paragraph sums up everything about the band and everything wrong with music today. There are very few good rock bands still going ( Maiden always deliver and don't have too many years left ) and nothing coming through. Grohl is still "young" at 48 but Pat Smear is 57...

EDIT: The problem is that music these days has gone the "write 'catchy' tune, perform with dancers etc" route. Pure rock musicianship where you engage the crowd, just not the done thing these days. Compare and contrast Foos with Radiohead's set. Radiohead came across as utterly self-indulgent, musically excellent lacking feel or passion. Got crowd reactions only with the "known" older songs. Grohl has had this audience in the palm of his hand since the start.