Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
For too long the idea of 'mixed communities' meant nothing more than introducing owner occupied homes (through infill and sales) to popular Council estates. I always advocated the flip side of that - getting more Council homes into traditional owner occupied areas. I think it is the right and fair way to remove stigmatised ghettos and to ensure that there is equality of access to health and education.

The flats in this block that were bought by the City of London are now 'social housing' units. They don't have acccess to all the services that come with paying the service charge, but as many of the comments say below the story, there is every chance the Council tenants rehoused there after this appalling tragedy work as hard if not harder than the lucky residents who are now complaining.

We may be a country divided by poverty/wealth, gender, geography and age - but it doesn't have to be that way. It will be interesting to see how long the rehoused survivors of Grenfell continue to live alongside their new neighbours - or whether they will be forced or encouraged to move out after a 'decent interval'.
I think some credit should go to the decesion makers who provided these housing units at such short notice, at least they have a chance of a different life now away from those awful tower block environments, which originate from decades of housing demand within our major cities, because they experience very high levels of migration, both legally and illegally.