Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
You're believing park and ride means no car park spaces on site. It doesn't, it complements things to alleviate the problem. So your situation isn't what's being discussed.

The two issues are linked. It's self-entitlement for no valid reason. The people parking in our road are doing it for the reasons you gave yet are parking illegally on double yellows, parking illegally blocking pavements. That's classic self-entitlement especially when you point that out to them. "I paid my road tax" is the excuse most often given because magically NHS staff are allowed to park illegally or something... again, costly when they get the PCNs for their parking which are ones they can't ignore...

More spaces - where? No room on site at UHW for development of more car parking spaces. So that's out.
Don't charge for hospital parking - when contract ends that's what will happen. Quite how the latter is going to alleviate the space problem god knows because more will try to park there.

The park and ride solution is the best solution available. Definitely needs to be expanded, shift hours worked on, but the onus is to push mainly workers to park off site and bus them in freeing up spaces for patients and visitors.
I would imagine it needs to run 24 hours a day if it is intended for staff. If it is then still cost-effective and doesn't take forever then it is a good option. It doesn't take away from the fact that building a hospital without adequate provision for parking is just bad planning.

I use a park and ride at an airport quite frequently and the service is shockingly bad.