Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
I asked myself the same thing the other day. I came to the conclusion that I'd be a shite mod on this board because I didn't know the answer.

My first thought was no, I wouldn't have banned him, but I realised a while ago that I'm not the best barometer for that sort of thing, I have a high tolerance level for offensive comedy so the question is, do I ban him using other people's standards or my own? I've no idea.

Stay tuned for more of my musings, following the break I'll be giving a read from my diary.
Thats the trick, right there.

I used to be a mod on the Cardiff Devils forum as well as on a national ice hockey forum.
Both boards had a different set of posters with I guess different values and had to be moderated differently.

For every person who would complain about a post, there would be another who would complain if you deleted it. End of the day, you're never going to please everyone, so yeah, you have to pretty much apply your own standards whilst maintaining the principles of free speech.
You do of course have to be consistent (my only criticism of Matt in this instance)
It helps of course if there is a published set of message board rules, and like them or not, those are the rules that get applied.
Sometimes of course there will be posts that are downright illegal and you have a duty to protect the board's owner and to some extent posters from themselves.
It's a tough and thankless (unpaid) "job".