Amazing game, City started well and looked set for a big win when Pilkington and Harris (pen) scored inside the first fifteen minutes, but Charlton have dominated the Under 18 and Under 23 leagues for some time and are always strong opponents - they quickly got it back to 2-1.

Then, with the game not half an hour old, Mark Harris was shown a straight red card, while the Charlton player involved got a yellow (sorry to do a Wenger, but I genuinely didn't see the incident). Charlton quickly leveled and only one outcome seemed possible at that time.

City made it to half time all square though and then came out to dominate the opening stages of the second period only for the visitors to go in front against the run of play.

There was more drama then when Cameron Coxe was brought down. At first it looked like the ref had played an advantage, but then he awarded City a free kick on the edge of the box when it had seemed obvious that the offence had taken place inside the box. After consulting his linesman, the ref changed his mind and pointed to the spot only for the Charlton keeper to guess right and make a fine save from Pilk's pen.

Pilkington was to have the last laugh though as he, first, equalised following a lovely bit of skill and a shot that took a deflection and then he completed his hat trick when he jumped for a high ball with the keeper who dropped it and presented him with a tap in for his hat trick.

City held on for the win, but deep into added time, Ryan Reynolds (jon, Reynolds is a Welsh youth international who we signed after he was released by Everton) suffered what seemed to be a serious injury in innocuous circumstances as he stretched to try and intercept a pass. The lengthy treatment he received meant that the second half had gone on for more than an hour and it was desperate luck on the youngster that there was only time for Charlton to take a free kick when the game eventually restarted before the final whistle blew.

Charlton may have had the benefit of some decisions (e.g. when the ref showed leniency to the player he booked in the Harris incident after a show of petulance shortly after his side went 4-3 down), but, on another day, the winning goal could easily have been disallowed for a foul on the keeper.

I've got to congratulate the two outfield senior players in the team as well for their brilliant attitude throughout - Callum Paterson came through a clash of heads so loud that we heard it fifty yards away and played the ninety minutes (actually it was more like one hundred and five!), while Pilks showed his commitment by haranguing the linesman for not disallowing Charlton's first goal for offside - it was great entertainment, made more enjoyable by the company I had, but I hope Reynold's injury isn't as bad as it looked.