Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
coached under 10’s to under 16’s.

The players were great about everything. The parents were the only problem. Great times. As they get older, the6 understand and as long as the6 get some game time In a Successful the6 are happy. Parents always not.
Totally agree.

Somehow I got lumbered with my lads team about 18 years ago.

Spent 8 years seeing them through from u8’s up to u16’s and as you say, they were great times.

As for the parents, I decided early doors that I wasn’t to going to put up with any shit from them.

Think you’re kid isn’t getting enough time on the pitch - take them somewhere else then. Think it’s ok to scream abuse at little kids - piss off home and don’t come back. Think you’re Alex Ferguson - feel free to help out rather than stand on the sidelines then.

We lost a few kids due to the parents but that’s down to them. Even had one nine year old ask me if I could tell his dad not to come any more. The parents that took it on board we’re good as gold as theyknew the score - you’re there to support and encourage your kid and if you’re willing to pitch in then great.

As for the op I’d say this - when they’re starting out it’s all about building something. Make all the kids feel part of it - you’d be surprised what a bit of self belief and togetherness can bring to kids of that age. Of course the kids want to win but you’ve got to allow the less able kids time to improve and the only way they’ll do that is by training and playing. When I first started with my lot we were hopeless and lost nearly every game. All I ever told them was if we kept trying and stuck together as a team then we’ll get better. By the time we packed it in the closest we got to winning anything was a cup final where we lost 4-2, but without sounding too cheesy, those kids are now men who forged strong friendships in that team and have (some) brilliant memories from their childhoods. To me that’s worth more than any winners medal.