Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
Just got round to reading both reports. Cheers! I'm guessing none of the trialists yet caught the eye in the older age groups? Did a quick Welsh check on Ricardo Rees for Brizzle and a couple of vague websites claim he's English. Still see fair few Welshies as usual with them. Think Chaliss and Morrell are two of the bigger hopes though the later would've been too old to play in the game you saw.

Think both are still 16 too? So encouraging.

A side thought for me is the DVP looks quite disjointed this year. As Loramski proposed earlier in the thread, are they better off in the the younger groups where they can dominate a bit more? I don't have an opinion as I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. But I suppose the club should be careful to not be too relaxed about pushing these lads a little.
I think Spence turned 17 last month.

Regarding the second point, the Under 23 side is also called the Development team. so the original intention was, surely, to "develop" young players and make the jump into first team football less of a steep one?

The system being used this season seems to be designed to stop teenagers challenging for a first team place (except for in some Cup games or meaningless end of season matches), so it's essentially a confirmation of the unofficial policy that has been in place for a few years now - that is we don't pick teenagers for Championship matches unless there is nothing to play for.

I don't agree with keeping someone like Spence in the youth team when his performances this season are better than they were last year when he played far more for the Development team than he is doing now, but I suppose a structure whereby players eligible for the Under 18s stuck with them until they reached nineteen wouldn't be a disaster as long as there was a recognition that an Under 18 player can come along every now and then who is good enough to do a decent job for the first team in a meaningful Championship match - lately, there seems to be a view prevailing at the club that any teenager cannot be good enough to play in a league match in which the points are important.