+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We played lovely passing football today

We played lovely passing football today

Will that go noticed or is the media so one-eyed that we only knock it long?
    Everything is based on last seasons statistics.
    We were good on the eye with Arter, Ralls and Camarasa dominating large parts today.
    We shall see what the media have to say.
    Long ball merchants? Pfft

Re: We played lovely passing football today

Jon Jo Gypo hit more long balls today than all our players combined.

Unfortunately Voldemort's long passes usually tore us apart...

I'd rather us win matches with less possession but it was good to see some control being exerted - though I worry that we don't have the skill to unlock Prem defences if we go to a possession based game.

Promising today though and let's hope we continue to gain in confidence and competitiveness

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Unfortunately Voldemort's long passes usually tore us apart...

I'd rather us win matches with less possession but it was good to see some control being exerted - though I worry that we don't have the skill to unlock Prem defences if we go to a possession based game.

Promising today though and let's hope we continue to gain in confidence and competitiveness
    I thought Shelvey started well in the first 15 minutes and his long passing was effective, however it soon became apparent that long passing was all he wanted to do so when he got the ball our back four would drop deeper and it completely nullified his threat. I was surprised that he couldn't adapt and play through the lines instead of constant Hollywood passes. I suppose this is what separates the top players.

Of course it will go innoticed.

we.re certainly no threat to barcelona or man city but it was encouraging we could string a few passes together today . long may it continue !

A few more stats. from today

https://www.premierleague.com/match/38320

Cardiff City Newcastle United
    51.3 Possession % 48.7
    1 Shots on target 6
    12 Shots 12
    533 Touches 503
    314 Passes 305
    21 Tackles 11
    42 Clearances 25
    5 Corners 5
    2 Offsides 0
    2 Yellow cards 2
    0 Red cards 1
    14 Fouls conceded 16

After half time Ralls stuck more faithfully to the pivot role in front of the back four with Camasara employed further forward and Arter given licence to roam. I think that NW knew that Benitez would instruct his team to press our midfield three from the front in his ht team talk and preempted this by withdrawing Ralls to a more conservative position. Coaching is a very "hands on" pursuit nowadays and the chess battle between the two managerial luminaries today was very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Will that go noticed or is the media so one-eyed that we only knock it long?
    Everything is based on last seasons statistics.
    We were good on the eye with Arter, Ralls and Camarasa dominating large parts today.
    We shall see what the media have to say.
    Long ball merchants? Pfft
    It was interesting to see Sky put on a stat in the first half today "%age of long passes" which showed Cardiff at 48% and Newcastle at 22%. Now, I think you lot are a little bit paranoid, but that is the first time I have ever seen that particular stat used. I found the stat funny because it was ambiguous. What, I wonder, constitutes a "long pass". And, who decided that, say, a pass of 25 yards is a long pass, but a pass of 24 yards is not?

I don't know if the same stat was used at any other stage of the game because I turned off after 30 minutes. The game was a bit dull and barely a step up from the Championship. I was impressed by the little I saw of Murphy and Camarasa. Just looking at the stats though, and another game where only one shot on target was achieved. This time, out of 12 shots at goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    It was interesting to see Sky put on a stat in the first half today "%age of long passes" which showed Cardiff at 48% and Newcastle at 22%. Now, I think you lot are a little bit paranoid, but that is the first time I have ever seen that particular stat used. I found the stat funny because it was ambiguous. What, I wonder, constitutes a "long pass". And, who decided that, say, a pass of 25 yards is a long pass, but a pass of 24 yards is not?

I don't know if the same stat was used at any other stage of the game because I turned off after 30 minutes. The game was a bit dull and barely a step up from the Championship. I was impressed by the little I saw of Murphy and Camarasa. Just looking at the stats though, and another game where only one shot on target was achieved. This time, out of 12 shots at goal.
    Over 90 mins. City 22% Toon 23%

Midfield were a massive improvement imo. It's a shame we can't get Reid playing just behind a lone striker like when Ward came on last week because I thought he looked dangerous picking up loose ball in space and running at defenders.

It's also a shame 3 of our back 4 have little composure on the ball, that's where many of our long balls become aimless hoofs up field. Saying that a ball playing CH cost a fortune now days.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Midfield were a massive improvement imo. It's a shame we can't get Reid playing just behind a lone striker like when Ward came on last week because I thought he looked dangerous picking up loose ball in space and running at defenders.

It's also a shame 3 of our back 4 have little composure on the ball, that's where many of our long balls become aimless hoofs up field. Saying that a ball playing CH cost a fortune now days.
    Very happy seeing levels today! Midfield actually give hope, and that has been our Achilles for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I thought Shelvey started well in the first 15 minutes and his long passing was effective, however it soon became apparent that long passing was all he wanted to do so when he got the ball our back four would drop deeper and it completely nullified his threat. I was surprised that he couldn't adapt and play through the lines instead of constant Hollywood passes. I suppose this is what separates the top players.
    He hit a lot of aimless balls too, to no-one.

He’s good, but IMHO very overrated.

I’m happy with our 3 now.

Ralls by contrast is massively underrated-

7 goals 4 assists last season

Shelvey had 5 and 8 in a powerful Newcastle team in the Championship.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/10...tory/Joe-Ralls

Ralls averaging a rating of 7.1 this season- marginally better than Shelvey

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/40.../Jonjo-Shelvey