The two live games yesterday showed the difference in attitude which exists between how the full back role is perceived by Premier League managers. The winning goal in the Watford v Palace match might have been a fluke, but it came from a full back who got himself into an area near the opposition corner flag and stayed there when the ball went out for a throw in - all four full back got forward consistently throughout the game. At Newcastle, Chelsea's goals came when their left back was fouled for a penalty and then when his cross was turned in for an own goal, their other full back had a shot from within the penalty area in the first half which was blocked close to the goal line. By contrast Newcastle played with a fairly rigid back five, but it was only "fairly rigid" because their energetic right back was always trying to support on the rare occasions his side attacked and their goal eventually came from his cross.

I also watched our game at Huddersfield again on the club website and for most of the time it offered even more proof that Neil Warnock sees his full backs primarily as defenders - his insistence on playing two wingers means that there is not as much need for his full backs to be auxiliary attackers, but, for the first hour, Murphy and Paterson, while he was on, also played like full backs - thus ensuring that Zohore was even more isolated than normal.

Under this system, I think Bruno has got the support to do an adequate job as a defensive right back, but his limitations were shown when the sending off completely changed the character of the game and we were trying to win it for all of the last half an hour. All of a sudden, Bruno and Bennett were under orders to play like modern day full backs and although the former showed willing to the extent that he was caught out of position upfield when Huddersfield posed their only real attacking threat during that time, he showed that while he can do an adequate job as a centreback playing at full back, he cannot cope when asked to play, more or less, like a winger. On the other flank, Joe Bennett showed he could convert to a more modern full back role if required, while also confirming the suspicion that we don't get the best out of him when he's told to leave the attacking stuff to the winger in front of him.

Besides Bennett, Callum Paterson appears to be the full back in the first team squad that could play like seven of the eight full backs on show in yesterday's live games did, but our manager doesn't think he can defend. Jazz Richards offers a Ralls like all round competence which marks him out as pretty good in all aspects of the modern day full back role, but outstanding in none of them. so I'd say he'd be the best bet at right back at the moment, but Cameron Coxe has done a good job of playing the modern day full back for his club at Development team level and his country at Under 21 level. Tomorrow night would represent a chance to see if Coxe could carry those performances levels into the first team, but I'm pretty sure it won't happen - Cunningham will play tomorrow and it'll probably be Peltier or Richards at right back.