Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
We have the squad we have because of Warnock. Murphy aside the rest of his money signings have been poor, or don’t fit into our system. Starting with Tomlin last year, then Madine, and what he signed in the summer was a load of crap not fit for this league and certainly no better than we already had.

I wouldn’t give him any money to spend. See the season out, he probably deserves that, and we won’t be staying up anyway, and then give the new man some money in the championship, not some dinosaur who hands out 3 year contracts to 34 year olds.
I get the feeling that Warnock didn't lean on Vincent Tan enough in order to get a bigger war chest for the job in hand. He perhaps naïvely thought he could fashion a team capable of Premier League survival out of a bunch of "honest triers".. unfortunately, despite all their huff & puff, they're proving unable to blow down this particular house.

A big part of our meagre transfer kitty was, in my opinion, wasted on two players who will probably only be bit-part players for us this season.. Alex Smithies and Greg Cunningham. He "rewarded" Matthew Connolly with a new contract - a player who, let's be honest, struggled at times in the Championship last season.

He should have bit the bullet, swallowed his pride, and off loaded Garry Madine for whatever we could get for him. At least at the end of last season there were still managers who would have remembered what Madine did at Bolton in his "purple patch" - his stock wasn't as completely shot then as it appears now.

A new manager would probably have an adverse effect on the squad. No one could get more out of this squad, they're simply not good enough.