Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I agree with your first paragraph, but we took four points from our first two matches immediately following last year's players' Christmas party - the notion I've seen expressed on here that it was somehow responsible for our four straight losses over the holiday period is not true in reality. As for yesterday, we were beaten by a better squad than ours on paper (as is the case in every match we play) who happened to play better than they normally do going forward - I'd like to see what would happen if we decided to try and attack our opponents from the start in one game, but I suspect the outcome would be the same as it's proving to be when we sit back and defend.
That period before Watford scored their goal, they (Watford) looked lacking in confidence. Too many backward passes, passes going astray and just generally looking like a side short of confidence, even the home crowd had started to get a little restless. We should have seized the initiative and stepped up our own game, instead you could see players more intent on adhereing to the rigid formation that had been drilled into them. There seemed an inability or reluctance to think for themselves and read the game that was unfolding in front of them.

Watford were made to look like world-beaters at times, however, that was more down to our own ineptitude more than anything else.