Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
Wonderful Stuff. Here's something for you to think about. When you next Travel, Visit a City or Town, indulge in Poetry, Writings, Architecture, Art, Sculpture, planning etc-The wonders of Culture-Ask yourself what influenced it and how it got there. You see, you may think it's all 'Bunkum', although Religion has enhanced your life more than you will ever know-or want to know.
Well yes, ancients believed in these things and I think it’s quite possible for instance to appreciate Roman art, architecture, planning techniques, temples etc. and still think religeon is ‘bunkum’ (to refer to previous post). In the case of Rome, much of this was of course was established long before it’s transition to Christianity and was influenced by earlier polytheistic Greek and Etruscan culture. And Christian values and bible writings are often lifted from earlier Greek stoic philosophy and Roman republican virtues, so are strongly influenced by Greek and Roman secular values. So it’s all of historical interest and can be wonderful to experience when travelling, but that’s a different point really.

Freedom of belief is important I think, but so is secularism and removing religious privilege. At the same time I know some very nice people with religious beliefs. I think their outlook is misguided but they largely keep it to themselves and clearly get comfort from it. They probably think the same about my Humanist leanings. Difference in beliefs isn’t an issue at all. Some of them are secularists too.