Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
I've said this before and I'll say it again.

Our players are not intelligent enough to play in the premier league.

Look at how many times Everton cleared the ball tonight, and it would end up back with one of their players.

Every time we cleared the ball it was very rare it would end up back with one of our players.

Why? Because we don't have players intelligent enough to anticipate play and be in the right place at the right time to pick up the second ball. This is the difference between the premier league and the championship (although you could probably argue the quality of championship teams has increased, we brute-forced our way to promotion). Not only are other teams players more technically gifted than ours, they're all far more intelligent when it comes to reading the game and anticipating play.

It's horrible, but there's probably only a few of our squad who have that particular football intelligence, but we need it through the whole team.

I believe this is why we have such low possession stats too, we never win second balls and concede possession constantly. We do not win the ball back enough to have any possession and it just becomes a game of watching the other team play.

If by some miracle we stay up, the team needs hundreds of millions worth of player investment and I just can't see that happening.
Bang on. I watch other PL teams play and think how on earth have we ended up at this level? Coaching is very suspect too, the fact we can't string passes together is sunday league stuff. the club needs to re-think the transfer strategy when we're relegated, far too many battlers and scrappers than players will intelligence