Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
Dave, Do you see Cardiff having a promotion challenge next season if/when relegation happens ?

I fear we have too much of a rebuild to do with unwanted loan players returning to the club and a whole new midfield, right back and striker as a minimum required.

In addition, do you give Warnock much money considering he has said if he stays it will be his last season and the fact his recent big ( by our standards) signings have hardly been regular starters this season ?
To be honest, I'm finding it impossible to form an opinion as to what will happen to City next if, as now looks almost certain, they get relegated.

I'd imagine the defence will stay together, although it'll be interesting to see what happens with the goalkeepers. Smithies has proved a very expensive signing and I'm not sure if it would make sense to keep both him and Etheridge (who I like very much) in the Championship.

The midfield will lose Camarasa, Arter and Gunnarsson, so I've no idea what the plans are there. Meanwhile, I think Zohore's been hugely disappointing during the last two seasons, Niasse will return to Everton and I'd guess Madine would be unlikely to come back given his experiences here, so most of the team looks like it'll have to be overhauled.

As for Warnock, his situation is impossible to assess. Personally, I'd bite the bullet, thank him for his efforts and part company. Most of the signings he's paid money for have failed to a great or lesser degree and he seems to be on the verge of quitting every few months anyway, so I'd definitely be looking for a younger man with a different philosophy, but who knows what Tan's thinking?