Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
Who ever the guy is, if he even exists that is, has made coming out, that little bit more difficult for gay footballers with all this nonsense.
Who ever becomes the 1st footballer to do it, will no doubt get plenty of respect and support from the majority of fans everywhere.
There will always be a minority of numb skulls that’ll take the piss. There always will be.
I think you've summed up the situation in regard to this purported gay footballer very well. However my concern is for what happens in respect of the "minority of numb skulls". If their idiocy manifests itself in homophobic chanting what happens then ? In my view there are no degrees of discriminatory behaviour. it seems to me that homophobic chanting is equally as bad as racist chanting and racist chanting can end up with large fines and games played behind closed doors. If a footballer comes out as gay and his first game as an "out" footballer is at CCS , how will we get it over to our "numbskulls" what is not acceptable and what their unacceptable behaviour might lead to. Perhaps I am doing our fans a disservice and it wouldn't happen here but I'm fairly sure it would happen elsewhere and whilst attitudes toward racist behaviour at football grounds is well understood I don't think you can say the same about homophobia.