Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
No, not really. I do feel a little guilty though because it was somewhat unfair of me to comment on your claim to be an intellectual when you would look weak if you ignored it and slightly ridiculous if you maintained that you were one, so sorry about that.

Regarding your two points;-
1. I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve, but I've noticed that it is the sort of thing you come out with from time to time.
2. If someone introduced themselves to me with the words "hello, I'm a painter", I'd shake their hands and continue the conversation. On the other hand, if someone introduced themselves to me with the words "hello, I'm an intellectual", I'd try my hardest not to laugh in their face, but, probably, fail.

Well I doubt that anyone would introduce themselves as an intellectual , and nor did I . I simply replied to Carlos Fandango or whoever he is who ,for reasons best known to himself , stated that I was NOT an intellectual.

Now, I'm not inexperienced in communicating at all levels, and I was well aware that correcting him on this point would cause outrage amongst certain groups, but I ,( truthfully), did so anyway.
In fact people have paid me a lot of money down the years for applying my mind to quite important issues, so I expect they've done that for a reason.
Is that a source of pride or self importance to me ? No, it's just the way it is. Do I give a shit what anyone thinks about it ? No.

I get the impression that you think a person with a good mind must be a weakling - some kind of little guy with glasses, so if you say you'd laugh in my face I'll believe you because I'm certainly not getting into some keyboard warrior bullshit. I've never had much trouble with people doing that though.

You needn't feel guilty about trying to entrap me with fatal alternatives if that floats your boat - give it your best shot, cause it's really very unlikely to work.

There is another alternative, of course, which is to consider the content of whatever I said and agree or disagree in a constructive way, rather than get too entangled in this barely concealed resentment you've developed. It's daft, because you don't know me and I think you're just quietly outraged by the fact that I don't fit into your stereotype of someone who likes and studies football should be.