Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
I don't have a problem with Neil Warnock setting the team up to be defensively solid and play counterattacking football. The problem is that we aren't particularly good at it.

We look okay when the opposition pass the ball around in front of us, but as soon as they attack with any urgency we get carved wide open. I don't think it's a coincidence that we've been in front for so little time this season. Even Huddersfield could have scored twice against us after we retook the lead in stoppage time. We're also prone to lapses in concentration and making silly mistakes.

We're inefficient when we do get the ball because we struggle to play around the opposition's counter-press and usually resort to lumping the ball forward to avoid getting caught in possession. Our attacking players don't seem to have any cohesion and we are overly reliant on individual brilliance to score goals. We're playing Tomlin in an advanced central position, but our primary option is to get the ball wide, so he hardly touches the ball.
Good post. We rarely had the ball last night but when we did we couldn’t get Tomlin in the game at all. The game passed him by but the few times he got the ball he did something with it. That reverse pass that set us up with a chance for 2-0 was the only real bit of quality football from us last night. He also lost it himself a couple of times because he’s looking around for options that are just not there and got caught doddling. We are so static as a football team and I think to get the best out of Tomlin we need more footballers in the team but that isn’t going to happen.

As soon as he went off it was more hoofball to Paterson and we must be the only team in the entire football league who have a spare man and still resort to 50-50 2nd ball tactics. Long throws. Chuck it in the mixer. Centre half taking the throw ins so when the throw breaks down and is played back to the thrower we’ve got a clumsy oaf who can’t get the ball out of his feet. We made no use of the extra man whatsoever.