+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of our managers in recent times have gone on to bigger and better?

Re: How many of our managers in recent times have gone on to bigger and better?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Going back to 1974 Frank O’Farrell led Iran to the Asian Cup after his short spell with us. Apparently he’s still alive at the age of 91, surely our oldest living former manager (if he hasn’t passed).
    I wonder what might have happened if Frank O'Farrell had stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I wonder what might have happened if Frank O'Farrell had stuck around.
    He’d taken Leicester to a Cup Final & the 2nd Division Championship not 5 years previous, very shabbily treated at Old Trafford post Busby (although Busby hung about & tried to belittle him apparently, O’Farrell was having none of it & was hounded out). Always believed that he treated us a sort of stepping stone though & the Iranian money must have dwarfed his earnings at the City. But, as you say, ‘ What might have been?’, O’Farrell was no mug.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don't disagree, but since he was sacked by us he has only managed 2 games. As a manager, he's done bugger all since he left us. Knowledgeable guy to have as assistant, but not a manager.
    He was already semi-retired when we brought him in to help Cork, which he then ended up taking full control. When he left us he never took another direct managerial role again, i assume, was his choice.

Bit harsh to judge as the city job looked likely to be his last job.

Yorath

1994–1995 Cardiff City
    1995–1997 Lebanon
    2001–2002 Sheffield Wednesday
    2008–2009 Margate

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Watching Match of the Day and looking at Leicester's manager, Brendan Rogers. Swansea have had a number of managers who have moved on to better things, so I thought I'd look at how we've fared.

I make it that we haven't had any managers since 2000 that have done so well that bigger clubs have thought of taking them on. No forward thinking managers to take the club forward. We've mainly had steady hands.
    Malky Mackay - performance director for Scotland
    OGS - manager at Man United
    Paul Trollope - 2.5 years as an assistant manager in the premier league

It really depends on whether you think a managers job is the be-all and end-all and/or whether you're talking about personal who have been on an upwards trend after leaving us.

From the Jacks' side of things, Michael Laudrup, Bob Bradley, Francesco Guidolin, Paul Clement and Carlos Carvalhal have all stumbled or taken a step back after leaving Swansea; Kenny Jackett, Gary Monk and arguably Paulo Sousa are on the same level as where they left Swansea; and only Martinez, Rogers, Potter have made a step-up after leaving.