Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I thought the opposition party's were bonkers for voting for an election in 2017 and I get the same feeling this time, but I was proved wrong two years ago and I hope I am this time - think the campaign will have to become about more than just Brexit though if a majority Tory government is to be avoided.
You can't escape the conclusion that we are being gamed. First Parliament was prorogued for weeks to allow the government time to prepare the Queen's speech. Then a withdrawal deal is negotiated with the EU. The deal passed it's 2nd reading in the House and the Queen's speech is also accepted by majority vote. Yet despite these two things both are pushed to one side to drive towards the thing Johnson, Cummings et al have been wangling for all along, a General Election.

It may be the only course to break the logjam but it is always going to be dominated by Brexit whilst it remains unresolved which is an imperfect way to determine the best options for how our country is governed for the next 5 years (when presumably under the Fixed Term Parliament Act we will have another election 2 weeks before Christmas 2024).