+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Players rating Cardiff v Bristol

Players rating Cardiff v Bristol

The mixed Cardiff City player ratings as two forwards disappoint while one man hits serious form against Bristol City
    By Glen Williams

Here is how the Bluebirds players rated in the 1-0 loss to the Robins

Neil Etheridge 5
    Rarely forced into action but could have perhaps done a little better for the goal. Kicking also leaves a lot to be desired at times.

Lee Peltier 6
    A solid outing from the right-back, as we have come to expect this season. A quiet afternoon for him overall.

Curtis Nelson 7
    Really growing into his role in this season. Was the pick of the defenders for sure.

Aden Flint 6
    Bristol struggled to cope with the defender at set-piece time but he has to work on his distribution.

Joe Bennett 6
    Cardiff enjoyed a lot of success down the left and Bennett's link-up play with Hoilett was a key feature.

Marlon Pack 7
    Booked early on but marshalled the midfield well and was key in winning aerial duels, too. Distribution was very good.

Leandro Bacuna 6
    His marauding runs are quickly becoming a feature of this Cardiff City side. Another fairly assured performance.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing 4
    Didn't hit the form he has been over the last few weeks, just wasn't at the races. Could not catch a break.

Lee Tomlin 6
    Pulled strings incredibly well in the first half and showed a vastly improved work rate in defence. Faded later on.

Junior Hoilett 8 (star man)
    This man is hitting some serious form in a Cardiff City shirt. Almost unplayable in attack sometimes. Wrap him up in cotton wool.

Omar Bogle 5
    He harried and tried his best in the physical battle. Held the ball up well but was ultimately outmuscled. Missed a couple of gilt-edged chances.

SUBS

Gavin Whyte 6 (on for Tomlin 75)
    Didn't have a massive impact on the game but brought a little bit of energy when Cardiff needed it.

Gary Madine N/A (on for Bogle 83)
    Not enough time to impact the game. Had one header from a corner that he hit at the keeper.

Callum Paterson N/A (on for Hoilett 89)
    Did nothing of note in the little time he had.

Re: Players rating Cardiff v Bristol

Aden Flint on the same rating as Tomlin and two more than Mendez Laing?

Flint looked League 1 standard for much of the game.

Hoilett absolutely was starman for Cardiff I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    Aden Flint on the same rating as Tomlin and two more than Mendez Laing?

Flint looked League 1 standard for much of the game.

Hoilett absolutely was starman for Cardiff I agree.
    Flint, Bennett and Mendez Laing where all awful

His distribution isn’t going to get better.
    He was like that throughout his time here - and I believe at Swindon and Boro too.

You bought a guy who can head the ball very well - but to quote my dad “the thing just goes forward he doesn’t actually pick anyone out”.

He can also slide tackle well and he’ll never give up.

Plus his heading ability and height makes him a hell of a danger on set pieces.

But he’s slow, he turns at the pace of the QE2, and his route one distribution is abysmal.

That’s what you bought.
    You either play him knowing that’s what he is or don’t.
    He isn’t Beckenbauer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    His distribution isn’t going to get better.
    He was like that throughout his time here - and I believe at Swindon and Boro too.

You bought a guy who can head the ball very well - but to quote my dad “the thing just goes forward he doesn’t actually pick anyone out”.

He can also slide tackle well and he’ll never give up.

Plus his heading ability and height makes him a hell of a danger on set pieces.

But he’s slow, he turns at the pace of the QE2, and his route one distribution is abysmal.

That’s what you bought.
    You either play him knowing that’s what he is or don’t.
    He isn’t Beckenbauer.
    I bet Middlesbrough were pissing themselves when we came in for him, and particularly for £6m. He was part of a dodgy Boro defence last season and was a complete waste of a signing as he’s much too like Morrison, if anything, he’s got worse distribution than Morrison if that’s possible!

The goal aside, I thought Brownhill was a standout player, very comfortable in possession.