+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greatest centre forward you have seen at Cardiff city

Re: Greatest centre forward you have seen at Cardiff city

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I never understood all the fuss about Peter Thorne either. He was decent but maybe it was because we paid (at the time anyway) a big fee for him, that people seemed to go overboard about him. I just didn’t get it.
    Thorne was a solid pro and was very good in the air from memory.

Scored some key goals too. He was above average.

Phil Stant was another one who scored some important goals.

People like Campbell, Nugent, Howarth and Pike also had decent (or very good) scoring records.

I saw Ronnie Moore score - does that count?

We have had a few very good centre forwards since the mid 2000s that were past their best when they came to us, but in their day had been top top players (Kevin Campbell, Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink, Rickie Lambert and other similar).

Not in the John Charles bracket (maybe not Toshack either) but Robbie Fowler was a great ('god') though not for us unfortunately!

The best for us that I have seen was Bothroyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Toshack was good but Brian Clark was my hero & an absolute gentleman.

Never saw John Charles play for City 1 year before my first game but I met him & saw him play for Hereford & he was class in everything he did.

I've played against Gary Stevens in the Hereford Sunday League before he signed for City
    What was Gary Stevens like to play against (the gangly former City striker I mean, not the one from Everton!)?

I always remember him being frustrating to watch but his record for us was decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    The greatest centre forward ever to play for Cardiff City must be John Charles. Well past his best years when he came to us but in his prime a true football legend ( a proper one not a “media speak” one). Was voted both the best centre half and the best centre forward in Europe during his career and is one of a very small number of foreign players in the Juventus Hall of Fame
    +1

It was a pleasure to see the big man play, even though he was well past his prime.

Couple of others thrown in, Bobby Brown, unfortunately career ended too soon, Graham Moore, anyone remember Joe Bonson? Derek Tapscott a very good goal scorer and gentleman, was Sales Agent for Diadora 80’s/90’s

In order it's Gestede, Chopra, Bothroyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Couple of others thrown in, Bobby Brown, unfortunately career ended too soon, Graham Moore, anyone remember Joe Bonson? Derek Tapscott a very good goal scorer and gentleman, was Sales Agent for Diadora 80’s/90’s
    I remember Joe Bonkers

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    John Charles, end of thread !!!!!
    Agree 100%.
    He is unique in that he was picked by a (at the time) very well respected Italian manager in 2 positions in a world best 11.
    When the guy was pulled up on it, because a man can't play in 2 places he said, "you asked me to pick the best playing in the world in each position. I have".
    Best centre forward in th world and best centre half - - at the same time/

International

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Depends what you’re basing it on really? Have we had to see them play?

If so, Bothroyd was probably my favourite ever city player. If he fancied it he genuinely looked World Class. Other times he looked like he’d struggle in league 2.

You could say John Charles was easily the best ever Cardiff player on paper, but from what I remember, his best playing days was behind him when he was here.
    I get your point, but I did he see him play and his presence on the park was immense. No player could forget for a minute that he was there. He was THE MAN, and the same in every team he played in.
    I think in his first season au Juventus in a very defence minded Italian league he scared an unheard of 28 goals and won them the league. (don't pull me on the actual number but it was unheard of)
    He was revered as a God in Turin and they have a statue of him outside the ground.
    He was there raising money for a Turin charity when he was taken with his mortal illness. He was flown back to Leeds in the Juventus chairman's personal jet.

Chris Pike

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Agree 100%.
    He is unique in that he was picked by a (at the time) very well respected Italian manager in 2 positions in a world best 11.
    When the guy was pulled up on it, because a man can't play in 2 places he said, "you asked me to pick the best playing in the world in each position. I have".
    Best centre forward in th world and best centre half - - at the same time/
    All very true except for the fact that by the time he came to us he had slowed considerably, had a gammy knee and was a shadow of his former self. You could see how much class he had and what a wonderful player he had once been. In my view the best centre forward who ever played for us by reputation but the reality was somewhat different.

Tony Philliskirk

Earnie, Fkin legend.

Tony Evans?

International

Well the thread asked for the finest Centre forward we had seen at Cardiff city, there was no mention of if he was playing centre forward at the time nor if he played for us or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Well the thread asked for the finest Centre forward we had seen at Cardiff city, there was no mention of if he was playing centre forward at the time nor if he played for us or someone else.
    On that basis I recall Mick Channon ex Soton takes us to the cleaners one Friday night. Completely unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    On that basis I recall Mick Channon ex Soton takes us to the cleaners one Friday night. Completely unplayable.
    Matt Le Tissier as well for Southampton in a League Cup tie.

Trevor Ford

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Trevor Ford
    Trevor Ford 1953-1956 42 goals in 96 apps
    Apparently a hard man when you could barge the goalie in the net.
    We paid 30kfor him from Sunderland.How much would that be today.
    He got banned for illegal payments from his time at Sunderland and went to play for PSV

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Trevor Ford 1953-1956 42 goals in 96 apps
    Apparently a hard man when you could barge the goalie in the net.
    We paid 30kfor him from Sunderland.How much would that be today.
    He got banned for illegal payments from his time at Sunderland and went to play for PSV
    When I was a lad Trevor Ford owned the garage in Whitchurch where Ty’n-y-Parc Road meets Manor Way where the Tesco petrol station is now opposite what was the Masons Pub. He and Fred Stansfield were my Whitchurch local heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Matt Le Tissier as well for Southampton in a League Cup tie.
    ...and Eric Gates for Ipswich in an FA Cup tie