Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
He comes out on telly everyone loves him, Barrymore came out in a gay bar, everyone hated him? ( I know he has since gone on to much controversy, but treated completely differently)
I was only 12 when that happened so can't remember the reaction to Barrymore coming out but I've just had a google and it seems that no one hated him, in fact he was well supported by the public:

Despite the news, Barrymore's popularity didn't wane with the public.

Liddiment added: "The vast majority of the public accepted him for who he was. His audience were way ahead of the tabloids. He was just as authentic to them."

In the first awards ceremony after Barrymore came out, the National Television Awards, he won all three categories he was nominated in, including most popular entertainment presenter.

He insisted he had "no regrets" and paid tribute to his supporters, adding "my fans have been marvellous".

In an emotional acceptance speech, Barrymore said: "I’d like to say it isn’t what happens to you in your life it’s uh, how you deal with it.

"And when you have the support and love of a nation, then no problem apart from death, is unsolvable."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...riage-21429304