Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
A relative purchased her home in 1962 for £1,500. In 2017 she calculated she had paid £46,000 in Council Tax (formerly Rates), or in excess of 30 times of what the place cost. Council Tax/Rates is merely another name for rent - payable to the state. It's impossible to own a home outright in the UK. If you or anyone else believes differently then try not paying that Tax to discover who the real owner is.

That little scam is just one example of how there's only minor cosmetic differences between the red and blues as they'll both screw you over with equal vigour while they bend and squat to accommodate multinationals and City of London bankers. To quote George Carlin: it's a big club and you and I aren't in it.

Some of us choose to see it, most don't.
That's about £800 per year every year since she bought the house for half that amount. That was probably the amount of mortgage she took out to buy it outright over 25 years and it is probably only worth in excess of £250k in today's prices.

Still you have to complain about something I suppose. Funny I always took you as an optimistic, glass half-full, look to the future kind of guy. Are you sure you are related?

I do see your point about our serfdom to the state and the hidden hands though. What I think you are after is a means of paying for local services that breaks the link between property and people. It probably needs to be universal and not means set to make it administratively simple to collect. Also be good if it has a short pithy moniker that makes it easy to remember.