Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
I guess you refer to Spurs in the 1978 league game, the year after knocking them out of the FA Cup 3rd round? I went up on Tommy Morris' buses from Pencoed, 13 years old, on my own. Driving close to WHL, a Spurs fan pulled out a knife..! The start of a series of Rourke's Drift moments that lasted the whole day. Frightened me to death!!
I was also at that game. I was based at the Merchant Navy training school in Gravesend, Kent. I travelled to WHL with three other cadets. They were a bit naïve (so was I at the age of 17!) and were all wearing City scarves. They soon hid those scarves though as we travelled on the underground with hoards of Spurs fans. Spurs fans had infiltrated the away end with us and were right loons.
The two Spurs fans stood right next to me, as brazen as could be, were telling me how great it was at our place (Ninian) with all the rocks and pieces of concrete flying back and forth on Sloper Road, they both looked in their 40's.

I also travelled on my own to Stamford Bridge, at a time when Chelsea were mental, again, I think that was about '78? They had played Bristol Rovers away at Eastville the Saturday before and rioted, in the mayhem a WPC got knocked unconcious. I saw it all on the HTV West News (my grandmother always tuned her ariel into the west country reception, don't know why! ). So I had built up in my mind that it was going to be hairy, and it was!