+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schools are closing Friday

Schools are closing Friday

Re: Schools are closing Friday

My wife and daughter both work in a school have both been told to stay away from today as they suffer from asthma.
    Welsh gov says they are "bringing forward the Easter break".
    I suspect this closure will continue until September.

Yeah its great if you work for a school, you'll get time off and you'll get paid for it.

My family now face the choice of risking our livelihood and our homes or seriously putting the children's grandparents lives at risk to look after them.

in this situation we'll never get solutions that meet everyone's approval.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Yeah its great if you work for a school, you'll get time off and you'll get paid for it.

My family now face the choice of risking our livelihood and our homes or seriously putting the children's grandparents lives at risk to look after them.
    You could always use your paid vacation time. Between a 2 parent household in the UK, that's about 10 weeks.

I don't think it's great for anyone. Including teachers. But's it's most likely necessary. And it's definitely doable. I'm home with my daughter right now. And I probably get less paid time off than you do.

This should probably have happened at least a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You could always use your paid vacation time. Between a 2 parent household in the UK, that's about 10 weeks.

I don't think it's great for anyone. Including teachers. But's it's most likely necessary. And it's definitely doable. I'm home with my daughter right now. And I probably get less paid time off than you do.

I agree the schools should have closed earlier.

A huge jump in the number of cases in New York today, starting to look very worrying there.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

Its the end of the financial year at the moment and i don't have a lot left. Could most probably work it for a couple of weeks.

I work in a area where every one in the business would be looking for leave because there is now no school and we all cannot be off or the business will close, then all the jobs are lost.

They say 46% of the NHS staff have school aged children who will now struggle to come to work because of childcare issues.

I think most households with youngsters at school will have some form of Internet access (mobile or broadband). I think there will end up being an online platform that students can get on to and speak with teachers / sit through lessons and be allocated work.

The Open University and distance learning suppliers have been doing it long enough.

I'm not sure teachers will just get "time off"; but then a lot of teachers have young children and need to look after them.

agree it's difficult.

I work for myself so anytime I'm not in work I don't get paid ( sick or holidays ) and that has been the case for the last 10 years.

I have to have a "stash" of cash to cover any eventuality so I'll be ok for a bit.

Most peoples jobs aren't as secure as they used to be

Wait until they close bars, restuarants and shops. There are plenty of people here that make $1000-$1500 a week tending bar. Most of them have little in savings. There's talk about mortgage relief and interest rates have been cut again (2.75%). I'm looking into refinancing today. But for renters times will be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    There we are , big boy decision , didnt need daddy boris to tell you or advise to wash your smelly hands ??

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    I think most households with youngsters at school will have some form of Internet access (mobile or broadband). I think there will end up being an online platform that students can get on to and speak with teachers / sit through lessons and be allocated work.

The Open University and distance learning suppliers have been doing it long enough.

I'm not sure teachers will just get "time off"; but then a lot of teachers have young children and need to look after them.
    Lots of society have children to look after, the private sector doesn't close down and continue pay you though.

Teachers will be partying hard tonight and who could blame them? Receiving full pay while not having to clap eyes on other people's sprogs. More good news for those of them who have cars, fuel will be cheaper again soon as the crude oil price has crashed by 17% today to just $22 per barrel.

Heisenberg

As someone else has pointed out already - they should have been closed sooner. 2,500 pupils and staff at Whitchurch High yet the government have told people to avoid pubs and restaurants to help stop the spread of the virus. F**king ridiculous.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    There we are , big boy decision , didnt need daddy boris to tell you or advise to wash your smelly hands ??
    I know you idolise him, but it's a shame "daddy Boris" can't make a decision though, isn't it? Y'know, as the leader of the UK government, it's probably his responsibility to make these decisions of what should remain open in a time of national importance.

Also, how many times have you told others not to "politicise" the coronavirus and you've gone and done it yourself.... Again.

Schools closed....has police leave been cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Schools closed....has police leave been cancelled?
    robberies and muggings about to go up you mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    robberies and muggings about to go up you mean ?
    Anti social behaviour, too.

I think they have manged the school decision very well

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Teachers will be partying hard tonight and who could blame them? Receiving full pay while not having to clap eyes on other people's sprogs. More good news for those of them who have cars, fuel will be cheaper again soon as the crude oil price has crashed by 17% today to just $22 per barrel.

Teachers will be back in after a few weeks with no lessons just looking after kids.

Invest in Crayola there's going to be a lot of colouring in between now and September.

Children of key workers plus vulnerable children will still be expected to attend. Whether they will, or not, is another matter. From my experience, once a tipping point is reached, few will attend when they see their mates having time off. As for homework packs and virtual learning....good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

A good joke, and a great image. But I can tell you there is nothing further from the truth.

I’m not surprised we are closed from Friday. I expected it from the moment Japan did the same a few weeks ago.

I am shocked however that this summers exams have been cancelled. I am struggling to process that.

The majority of teachers and others who work in school/education do not want to close. We are far from happy about the potential closure for a whole host of reasons. There is no end of term feeling amongst my colleagues and there are no thoughts that we are entering some kind of holiday.

Lots of society have children to look after, the private sector doesn't close down and continue pay you though.
    Should've been a teacher.

I know of several businesses that have closed with everyone on full pay.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think they have manged the school decision very well
    Who "manged" it well and why? This should be interesting.

rumours on lockdown doing the rounds... lockdown at some point is getting obvious but this guy putting his pennith in

https://www.facebook.com/jason.nota/...3479770280553/