Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
He joined the club in 2007 when I had not long turned 15 and left the club 10 years later as my favourite ever player.

It was unbelievable that he stayed so long, and something that I can’t see ever happening again here. Someone may come close to a decade here but I don’t think we will ever see a scenario where someone who is clearly too good for us over the course of 4-5 seasons stays up put.

The seasons under Dave Jones he was great, the season where he scored 20+ from midfield and 10+ assists alongside it was a joy to watch. Moving into the Malky era and he played more central and still dominated games. The season we went up under Malky it felt like we were going to score every time we had a corner as they were impossible to defend.

There are the obvious memories of Leicester, Boro etc but you only have to go on YouTube to see some of the goals he scored, ridiculous strikes that he’d embarrassingly shrug at. I genuinely think every goal he scored oozed class, he made penalties nonchalant, would stick a free kick in from 30 yards without breaking sweat.

He will go down as Cardiff’s best ever player for me. I am sure older fans may have their own but for anyone around my age of 28, I would imagine it’s Whittingham. Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times by chance and he was every bit the gentleman you’d imagine. It’s not hard to see why tributes have poured in from all over.

Hope the club organise a fundraiser for a statue. It’s never been more deserved.
Beautifully put SB