Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
Here's the thing - my parents are pretty much like the people you described yesterday. They are in their mid-eighties and look quite frail. They both have underlying health conditions which would put them at considerable risk of death if they contracted this virus. My father still loves to drive and he does so often. He goes out to the local recreational club and plays bridge five nights a week and occasionally goes to watch City games. Meanwhile, my mother is a very sociable person who goes to church twice a week and frequently visits her friends. Both of my parents enjoy walking in the sunshine in the open air. No doubt doing so at the present point in time would lift their spirits.

Nevertheless, in line with the advice of the government, the medical experts and the NHS doctors and nurses, they have stayed at home for almost all of the last three weeks. The few occasions they have left their house have been for brief early morning strolls when they've gone no further than around the block - something they've done about once every three days since they began locking themselves away.

The reason they haven't driven off to a beauty spot and gone for a walk is they are sensible people who understand that doing so would be ridiculous under the current circumstances. They don't want to run the risk of contracting the virus and they don't want to place any unnecessary burdens on the emergency services or the NHS, so they are following all of the guidelines and staying at home.

If everyone in this country followed the guidelines, which for the most part are very easy to understand, then it would give us the best chance of overcoming this crisis as quickly as possible. However, it seems a good percentage of the UK public are still ignorant, arrogant, selfish or stupid enough to believe the guidelines somehow don't apply to them.

By the way, you still haven't answered my question, so I'll rephrase it a little:

Do you believe everyone should be allowed to drive to Llandaff Fields, park up and go for a stroll? Or should that privilege be reserved for old and frail people who think a walk in the sunshine in the open air would lift their spirits?
"guidelines". Nothing wrong with guidelines. People are free to choose whether it's right or wrong. Walking around a supermarket, along the pavement etc, would seem a lot more hazardous to infection than being in your car and then in wide open spaces. If you are 'allowed' to drive a couple of miles to your nearest supermarket then why not half a mile to a large open space.