+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Favourite FA cup final memories

Favourite FA cup final memories

Just watching FA cup final repeats on BBC1.
    What are your favourite cup final memories?
    Amongst mine are, Alan Sunderlands winner against Man U, Ricky Villas goal against Man City and Peter Huckers goalkeeping performance for QPR.

Re: Favourite FA cup final memories

Sunderland beating Leeds, Coventry v Spurs and I remember Liverpool v West Ham as a great game, but, apart from 2008 and the games where Aaron Ramsey scored the winning goals, that is the only Final in the last twenty five years that I can recall now.

Two for me, Spurs beating Man City in a replay-1981-That Ricky Villa slalom goal and Chas n dave song.

1987 final that saw Coventry beat spurs in injury time. Dave bennett scoring 1 and setting up the other for Houchen, think he got MOM that day. Bennett also played in the two 1981 finals.

Oh, and Arsenal West Ham 1980-I really wanted Arsenal to win, i have no idea why, they lost 1-0 i think and i cried. i was 7 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sunderland beating Leeds, Coventry v Spurs and I remember Liverpool v West Ham as a great game, but, apart from 2008 and the games where Aaron Ramsey scored the winning goals, that is the only Final in the last twenty five years that I can recall now.
    FA cup final day was like christmas when i was a kid, i'm sure that the shops and roads were empty while the game was on.

Two spring to mind for me.
    Sunderland beating dirty Leeds (Jim Montgomery top 3 saves of all time) and Lou Macari (or was it Jimmy Greenhoff? ... irony!) winner vs Liverpool 1977 stopping the treble.

Sheffield Wednesday two up against Everton then conceding three, 1966, another one two years before was a cracker as well, West Ham coming from behind to beat Preston by the same score. Preston had beaten Swansea in a Villa Park semi thank God. Funny that I remember these two more than Arsenal repeating the feat against Hull a lot more recently.

Yes same as some of the above. 1966 and the Everton comeback, 1967 Spurs winning ( I followed Spurs then as a 10 year old before seeing City), 1970 the battle of Leeds v Chelsea. 1973 Sunderland beating Leeds, 1975 Soon beating Man U. 1979 Arsenal's last minute winner v Man U. 1981 Villa's goal for Spurs. Liverpool beating Everton 3-2 with rush scoring 2, 1988 and Dave Bennett. Haven't watched many since except seeing Aron Ramsey score the winners in two finals. I obviously remember ours in 2008 but try and forget that as it was a terrible game, which i should have enjoyed but didn't.

Unashamedly, as a nine year old Ian Rush was my hero, so the 1986 FA cup final. I recreated Rushies one hand salute many times in the living room and the park at the bottom of the street.

I do remember recreating the Keith Houchen diving header the year later too.

Whatever happened to the FA cup. Shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    FA cup final day was like christmas when i was a kid, i'm sure that the shops and roads were empty while the game was on.
    It was, wasn't it. Both BBC and ITV would start screening coverage from about 10.30am. Cameras outside their hotels and then getting an indepth run-down of each and every player.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Two for me, Spurs beating Man City in a replay-1981-That Ricky Villa slalom goal and Chas n dave song.
    Spurs were great that year, played top notch entertaining football, Villa and Ossie were just great to watch, I have a signed spurs pennant somewhere, i won it at my local football club awards evening

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It was, wasn't it. Both BBC and ITV would start screening coverage from about 10.30am. Cameras outside their hotels and then getting an indepth run-down of each and every player.
    Youd have a camera crew from the BBC on one team coach and a crew from ITV on the other. The team coaches were 'executive' coaches which meant they had tables with little lamps on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Youd have a camera crew from the BBC on one team coach and a crew from ITV on the other. The team coaches were 'executive' coaches which meant they had tables with little lamps on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Wimbledon 88 - all my friends supported Liverpool.

It's sad how the FA Cup has become less important now. I remember it being 6 hours of TV, but every Sky match is like that now.

Today reminds me of a typical FA Cup Final day. My mam would be wanting to go out to enjoy the sun, wouldn't quite appreciate that this was THE game I wanted to watch most. Feigned sickness for that cup final in 88. 87 was also a memorable one - two years of the underdog winning the day.

Everton's win over Man U also sticks out. But, like you, I struggle to remember anything past Liverpool v Sunderland in 90. Except for 2008 which was one of the best days of my life, despite the result. It was great to be there.

Cloughie talking to a police woman instead of the team before extra time was the other one that leaps out.

It’s strange how that ‘88 Cup Final is regarded by many ‘experts’ as one of the biggest upsets in a Final. Ok Liverpool were League Champions but Wimbledon finished 7th, hardly a huge gulf. Bit of a slight on the real apple cart upsetters such as Man Utd in ‘63, Sunderland ten years later and in more modern times Wigan.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Wimbledon 88 - all my friends supported Liverpool.

It's sad how the FA Cup has become less important now. I remember it being 6 hours of TV, but every Sky match is like that now.

Today reminds me of a typical FA Cup Final day. My mam would be wanting to go out to enjoy the sun, wouldn't quite appreciate that this was THE game I wanted to watch most. Feigned sickness for that cup final in 88. 87 was also a memorable one - two years of the underdog winning the day.

Everton's win over Man U also sticks out. But, like you, I struggle to remember anything past Liverpool v Sunderland in 90. Except for 2008 which was one of the best days of my life, despite the result. It was great to be there.

Cloughie talking to a police woman instead of the team before extra time was the other one that leaps out.

Liverpool Sunderland was 1992. Man Utd beating Palace in the replay was 1990.

Not trying to be a pedant, but the FA Cup finals were seared on my memory. From about 2006 onwards, they're a jumble (except 2008 obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It’s strange how that ‘88 Cup Final is regarded by many ‘experts’ as one of the biggest upsets in a Final. Ok Liverpool were League Champions but Wimbledon finished 7th, hardly a huge gulf. Bit of a slight on the real apple cart upsetters such as Man Utd in ‘63, Sunderland ten years later and in more modern times Wigan.
    Agreed. During the league season there was a 1-1 draw between them while Liverpool won the return fixture 2-1 at Anfield. Wimbledon were only 1 of 4 teams in the division that season who scored in both league fixtures against Liverpool and they also had one of the better defensive records against Liverpool. Liverpool's defence was starting to show vunerability against set pieces and Wimbledon were masters at them.

On the other side, Liverpool were almost invincible that season and had their highest points total in the club's history (until this season, though the 1978/79 would have given them 98 points on a 3 point for a win basis). That was all the more impressive as they played only 40 games instead of the normal 42 until that point (21 team division that season).

I think most of the media expected Liverpool to just turn up and win.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Agreed. During the league season there was a 1-1 draw between them while Liverpool won the return fixture 2-1 at Anfield. Wimbledon were only 1 of 4 teams in the division that season who scored in both league fixtures against Liverpool and they also had one of the better defensive records against Liverpool. Liverpool's defence was starting to show vunerability against set pieces and Wimbledon were masters at them.

On the other side, Liverpool were almost invincible that season and had their highest points total in the club's history (until this season, though the 1978/79 would have given them 98 points on a 3 point for a win basis). That was all the more impressive as they played only 40 games instead of the normal 42 until that point (21 team division that season).

I think most of the media expected Liverpool to just turn up and win.
    The Liverpool 87/88 side was probably the strongest domestic club side of the 80s, and the strongest until Man Utd 93/94.

Watched the last 5 mins of the 79 final the other day. I'd forgotten they the interviewed the players after the game in front of a big grey curtain.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Liverpool Sunderland was 1992. Man Utd beating Palace in the replay was 1990.

Not trying to be a pedant, but the FA Cup finals were seared on my memory. From about 2006 onwards, they're a jumble (except 2008 obviously).
    No problems on that one. 1990 was the one with two cracking semis wasn't it?

Just had a quick look at the list of recent finals. Hadn't realised that both Arsenal and Chelsea had each won it 3 times in 4 season's since it's been back at Wembley. As a kid Arsenal getting to 3 successive finals (78-80) seemed a massive achievement, but recent exploits and successes seem diminished in their importance.
    Of recent finals I cant remember at all the 2018 final. Wigan's victory and Aaron Ramsey and the Arsenal Hull game are probably the most memorable. I can remember the 2006 final really well but only because I was at Lords watching the Test match and most of the people in the hospitality boxes had their backs turned to watch the football.

Cup Final Day was the best sporting day of the year for me from 1971 through until 1982 when I went away to University. It was an all day build up from 9 in the morning...We were A BBC family.. Cup Final Grandstand (Frank Bough) with a Cup Final It’s A Knockout special (Stuart Hall, Eddie Wareing), cameras at team hotel. Cameras on trains with fans, players leaving on the coach for Wembley.

In fact for those 12 cup finals I can still remember the scores and scorers and can pretty vividly picture them all.

Sadly I think Cup Final Day gave an insight into what TV coverage of football could be like and in the end likely and very sadly played a big part in the downfall of the FA Cup...

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Sheffield Wednesday two up against Everton then conceding three, 1966, another one two years before was a cracker as well, West Ham coming from behind to beat Preston by the same score. Preston had beaten Swansea in a Villa Park semi thank God. Funny that I remember these two more than Arsenal repeating the feat against Hull a lot more recently.
    We must be of a similar age as these are the finals I too remember well. In the quarters Swansea beat Liverpool away 2-1 and I remember feeling disappointed when Preston knocked them out in the semis. How times have changed ! I think Alan Sealey scored both of West Ham's goals in the Final.

The first FA Cup I ever saw was Spurs v Blackburn in 1960 on our newly purchased black and white TV. Memorable for me as I bet my nana 3d that Spurs would win.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    We must be of a similar age as these are the finals I too remember well. In the quarters Swansea beat Liverpool away 2-1 and I remember feeling disappointed when Preston knocked them out in the semis. How times have changed ! I think Alan Sealey scored both of West Ham's goals in the Final.

The first FA Cup I ever saw was Spurs v Blackburn in 1960 on our newly purchased black and white TV. Memorable for me as I bet my nana 3d that Spurs would win.

Sissons, Hurst & Ronnie Boyce, with a last minute winner got the three for West Ham. Sissons was the second youngest player to play in a Cup Final, Howard Kendall, playing for Preston that day, was the youngest.