+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hope this is untrue

Hope this is untrue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-55192375

He always seemed a decent lad .

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson arrested in bribery probe

Re: Hope this is untrue

Suspended from the Labour Party now .

Do we need Mayor's , Police Commissioners, Council Leaders, on top of MEP's , MP's , First Ministers, there seems to be so many layers of governance in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Do we need Mayor's , Police Commissioners, Council Leaders, on top of MEP's , MP's , First Ministers, there seems to be so many layers of governance in the UK
    We won’t be having MEPs’ in the near future so that’s one lot down.

I’m tempted to vote for independence if given the chance to rid ourselves of another layer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-55192375

He always seemed a decent lad .

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson arrested in bribery probe
    Interesting to see authorities looking at corruption. I wonder if they’ll continue by looking at PPE contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    We won’t be having MEPs’ in the near future so that’s one lot down.

I’m tempted to vote for independence if given the chance to rid ourselves of another layer.
    Independence and back into the EU. Cha-ching!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Independence and back into the EU. Cha-ching!
    That will never happen even though I agree the country is over democratised.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Interesting to see authorities looking at corruption. I wonder if they’ll continue by looking at PPE contracts?
    https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020...od-law-project

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    I’ve been following this on social media, it’ll be interesting to see if there’s enough to build a case or indicate malpractice or corruption.

Mayor and council leader is also interchangeable in this instance, Anderson is a directly elected leader of a council and holds executive power rather than the more common ceremonial mayors found in local government in Britain which fulfil a civic role.

My biggest issue with governance in the UK is that we are still, despite devolution in recent years, a very centralised state compared to most other developed countries. I don’t think this model is fit for purpose anymore for relatively large countries with increasingly complex societies.

What I would prefer to see is much more power and responsibility devolved from the centre, whether that is to regions (like you see in the German “lander” for example) or pushed even further down where appropriate to more localised government. Broadly, on a back of a fag packet way, that would probably see a reduction in MPs and definitely Lords (as well as a big shift in how the civil service is constituted and where), with corresponding fiscal powers and budgets shifted away from the centre, with maybe more regionalised or local politicians, or at least better paid ones, where governance or scrutinising positions will hold more prestige due to the increased power and responsibility held and hopefully lead to a higher calibre of candidate than we would now see.

International

Derek Hatton. there's a surprise!!!

how does all that sit with his Trotskyist beliefs?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Derek Hatton. there's a surprise!!!

how does all that sit with his Trotskyist beliefs?
    How many times does old Derek get away with it???