Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Thank you very much. Maybe I'm being complacent, but I don't share you and Monkfish's view of how our season may end. While I agree with much of Monkfish's opinion in his first paragraph, regarding our midfield players and our central defenders, we are, as I mention in my piece, pretty good by Championship standards when it comes to things like attitude and attacking set pieces and if we get those two aspects of the game correct, I can see us amassing enough points to stave off a serious relegation fight.

However, if Mick McCarthy really is the pragmatist who plays in the style best suited to the players he has that he says he is, there can surely be no doubt what we can expect in the next six months - especially when you consider, it would be daft for him to start a rebuild when he's only here on a short contract.

Neil Harris eventually decided he had to go "back to basics" with this squad because they proved that they were a worse team when they had more of the ball - I'd say that's a shameful position for a team with our financial resources to get into, but we are where we are and whoever is our manager in the summer will have a big decision to make as to whether they want to initiate wholesale changes to the squad and the way it plays on a budget which will, surely, be small by modern Cardiff standards or whether it's best to go with more of the same with a style of play which is dated and, it seems, increasingly being overtaken by a more modern way of playing.
I sincerely hope that MM’s pragmatism and no nonsense approach will be enough to keep us up but the club must see that a more visionary manager is needed to build for the next 2-3 years.
I am hoping both our young full backs progress (Ng and Bagan) and Smithies seems to be above average for the championship.
Apart from that Moore up front is the only other player that would seem safe as we go forward.
Central defense needs a serious look and I don’t think we have a midfield player that would be safe of any re-build(I include Ralls in that).
It is a long and difficult job for someone and the next appointment will need a 3-year contract to turn us into a football playing club.