+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Peter Jackson - former City writer at the Echo.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Peter Jackson - former City writer at the Echo.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I seem to recall that there was at one time an early Football Echo, which was sold with the results incomplete. A lot bought it though not for the Football League results but for the write ups on the previous week’s local league games, so not having the final scores didn’t matter. In fact a lot of local league players were in their pubs/clubs after their afternoon fixture watching the scores come in on the teleprinter anyway so finding out if your name was in there for last week’s goal(s) was more important than East Fife 4 Forfar5.
    You’re right, there’d be the half times scores in the late news on the back page.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You’re right, there’d be the half times scores in the late news on the back page.
    On the subject of timings of the Echo, The Late Extra was a rehash of yesterday’s news, The Late City reported things that had happened up to dinner time but the one I’d hang around the paper shop for in the summer was The City Final. Peter Maunder, the newsagent in Carlisle St would harangue me to take a Late City, not a bit of it, that City Final had the later cricket scores, maybe even up to tea, none of your City Final lunchtime scoreboard The little trick that newsagents would play would to be put the Late Extras on top hoping it wasn’t noticed that the later editions were tucked underneath, bloody shysters eh

On the subject of timings of the Echo, The Late Extra was a rehash of yesterday’s news, The Late City reported things that had happened up to dinner time but the one I’d hang around the paper shop for in the summer was The City Final. Peter Maunder, the newsagent in Carlisle St would harangue me to take a Late City, not a bit of it, that City Final had the later cricket scores, maybe even up to tea, none of your City Final lunchtime scoreboard The little trick that newsagents would play would to be put the Late Extras on top hoping it wasn’t noticed that the later editions were tucked underneath, bloody shysters eh
    When Glamorgan we’re going for the Championship in 1969, all of our home matches were televised live, but, without the Echo’s scores, it was impossible to find out what was happening until we got the next day’s paper - I had to make do with the Late City edition that was delivered to our house around the time we got back from school.

When Glamorgan we’re going for the Championship in 1969, all of our home matches were televised live, but, without the Echo’s scores, it was impossible to find out what was happening until we got the next day’s paper - I had to make do with the Late City edition that was delivered to our house around the time we got back from school.
    Ah (goes all misty eyed) the summer of 69, forever known to us Lady Mary cricket nuts as the Mitching summer. Sophia Gardens had more school blazers on display than Jothams or Wildings that summer

Ah (goes all misty eyed) the summer of 69, forever known to us Lady Mary cricket nuts as the Mitching summer. Sophia Gardens had more school blazers on display than Jothams or Wildings that summer
    I can remember us beating Middlesex in a really exciting finish at Swansea - we almost missed the train to Fishguard for a family holiday in Ireland because my mum and dad insisted we stay and watch the end of the game (I wasn’t complaining!). That holiday meant we missed the even more exciting win over Essex a few days later which went right down to the last ball and then the title winning game with Worcestershire - all I’ve seen of both games was the last ball.

I can remember us beating Middlesex in a really exciting finish at Swansea - we almost missed the train to Fishguard for a family holiday in Ireland because my mum and dad insisted we stay and watch the end of the game (I wasn’t complaining!). That holiday meant we missed the even more exciting win over Essex a few days later which went right down to the last ball and then the title winning game with Worcestershire - all I’ve seen of both games was the last ball.
    The run on to the pitch and the celebrations in front of the balcony live long in the memory, we were mitching for that game in a different school year than the start of the season

The run on to the pitch and the celebrations in front of the balcony live long in the memory, we were mitching for that game in a different school year than the start of the season
    That last bit made me lol.