+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: UNUSUAL CITY PROGRAMME

UNUSUAL CITY PROGRAMME

All this talk of the Real Madrid match had me wallowing in my City memories, so I decided to have a gander at my large programme collection.

I came across a City programme from 1960 headed Golden Jubilee. It appears to commemorate the 50th anniversary of our first match played at Ninian Park in 1910. The matchday programme itself was for a game against Plymouth Argyle in the old 2nd Division.

The original owner of the programme was obviously a keen autograph hunter because he has got loads of signatures inside, including Tapscott, Mallory, Vearnacombe, Baker, Stitfall, Walsh and lots more. The City manager at the time Bill Jones has signed it but for me the most important signature is that of Ernie Curtis, one of the heroes of 1927.

Anyone else have this programme ?

Re: UNUSUAL CITY PROGRAMME

The 1959-60 season was City's Golden Jubilee and programmes from that season were so named. In fact the Aston Villa home game (April 1960) programme is available on Ebay. Villa were the opponents chosen to open the ground by playing a friendly in 1910. To commemorate the fact City played in an all white kit.

StT.
    <><

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cardiff-C...7-9e4f34ac2168

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    The 1959-60 season was City's Golden Jubilee and programmes from that season were so named. In fact the Aston Villa home game (April 1960) programme is available on Ebay. Villa were the opponents chosen to open the ground by playing a friendly in 1910. To commemorate the fact City played in an all white kit.

StT.
    <><

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cardiff-C...7-9e4f34ac2168
    I remember we played that match in white shirts but I thought we wore blue shorts, or did I just dream that?

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    I remember we played that match in white shirts but I thought we wore blue shorts, or did I just dream that?
    I was there. Yes, you did dream it. There are photos on line that also confirm that it was an all white kit.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    I was there. Yes, you did dream it. There are photos on line that also confirm that it was an all white kit.

StT.
    <><
    I was there too, my memory is obviously deteriorating.
    I remember another match, the following season I think it was, when we played The Spurs double winning team and I lost a £5 bet 30 years later, I was convinced we'd beaten them 4-2, of course all sensible supporters know the correct score was 3-2.
    Mind you, the consolation prize for me was, although I lost a fiver, I gained my most precious memory, it was the best City match I've ever seen and on a Saturday night too, thus avoiding the rugger at The Arms Park in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    I was there too, my memory is obviously deteriorating.
    I remember another match, the following season I think it was, when we played The Spurs double winning team and I lost a £5 bet 30 years later, I was convinced we'd beaten them 4-2, of course all sensible supporters know the correct score was 3-2.
    Mind you, the consolation prize for me was, although I lost a fiver, I gained my most precious memory, it was the best City match I've ever seen and on a Saturday night too, thus avoiding the rugger at The Arms Park in the afternoon.

Me, too. I remember Danny Blanchflower kicking the ball high into the night sky when Spurs came out on to the pitch and Derek Hogg having a blinder. Details below.

StT.
    <><

https://www.worldfootball.net/report...enham-hotspur/

I was at the rugby in the afternoon (terrible game against Ireland, no tries just penalties) then made my way out to Ninian Park for the best night of my life at that time. Very hoarse the following day.

........I was also at the Villa game and the shorts were definitely white (with blue stripe?). Rather suited Colin (Rock) Hudson I thought. City won 1-0 with a Graham Moore shot from edge of area at the Grangetown End. Knowing how your memory corrupts over the years you can probably totally ignore this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    ........I was also at the Villa game and the shorts were definitely white (with blue stripe?). Rather suited Colin (Rock) Hudson I thought. City won 1-0 with a Graham Moore shot from edge of area at the Grangetown End. Knowing how your memory corrupts over the years you can probably totally ignore this post.
    Your recollections about the goal and stripe on the shorts are correct. Picture in article.

StT
    <><

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...raham-10874170

Thanks, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Thanks, Steve.
    Its a pleasure, mate. Incidentally, my Father and I were up against the Grangetown End perimeter wall about 10-15 yds from the Bob Bank corner flag for the game. Another facet of the kit that photos confirm is that the white turnover on the socks had two blue bands with a red band between them. Its the first game I can fully remember being at. I still have the programme, too.

Also, my Father, Grandfather and I saw the game when the Tottenham H, Double winning team, were beaten 3-2 by City in 1961 at Ninian Park. Then we stood not far from the floodlight pylon on the corner of the Canton Stand and Bob Bank.

StT.
    <><

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/33/b8...faec1e5d6e.jpg