Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
Rock

For me punk has that tinny sound

If we are looking at punk as an attitude then songs like eighteen etc could be thrown in I suppose . For me punk was just a name for a brand of rebellious music that in general was quite lightweight

The heavier end of punk had more in common with heavy rock and metal

Babylons Burning , very heavy guitar , Dead Kennedys , Pistols .....some of their stuff was flat out riffing

In the states Jesus Lizard , Big Black , Butthole Surfers , Rollins Band were all thrown in at the tail end of punk , husker du , nirvana , Melvins etc but these were all rock bands really

I often laugh when people say they hate heavy rock music yet are quite happy to listen to the heavy guitars of bodies from never mind the bollocks or lithium by nirvana , it doesn't get much heavier than that
In the late 70s there was a clear divide between Punk and Heavy Metal, punks hated the metal fraternity and vice-versa. Both genres may have been rock but musically were completely different, let's face it Iron Maiden sounded nothing like a punk band.

Some punk was a bit lightweight, but some of the other stuff like The Damned's first album was high energy punk rock influenced by the Stooges.

Nirvana were a rock band but their sound was more rooted in Indie rock/Grunge and a million miles away from the likes of Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains.

Nothing lightweight about this punk band from 1977
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80muImiU2LI