Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
I think one of our lads nearly wore the stair carpet out, I think it was that hotel, Russians bouncing off the doors outside yet he was up and down to his room with, ahem, company!!
Apologies to Bob in advance for hijacking the thread. Wales away games, win, draw or usually lose until recently have been amongst the most memorable of my football career.

Splott, My memories of that night were along these lines. Four of us stayed in a hotel a distance from Red Square. There were a few warnings from "Russkies" on this site that they were indiscriminate and would pick us off when we went to the ground. As a result travel was arranged from the Rossiya Hotel, just off Red Square and the biggest Stalinist Hotel in the world at the time. Me and my mate were up for the Metro to the ground but the others were more wary..

Coaches drew up outside the hotel a few hours before the game. We were wandering around the front of the building when a couple of hundred Russian hooligans ran across Red Square throwing flares and fire crackers. Moscow's finest held them at bay and placed a cordon around the hotel.

Unbeknownst to us. The Russkies had come into the hotel seeking out the well known "Soul Crew". All was quiet for about 30 mins when suddenly a "Charge of the Light Brigade" type rush came from about 20 Welsh lads up a grassy hill. Not only did they tumble back like Humpty Dumpty but caused the Russian Hoolies to break through police lines and assault the hotel in the way you describe.

In fairness. My mate had bought one of those faux fur hats in Red Square with a Soviet Star on the front. If we had tried to make it to the ground on our own you could have just placed a sniper's red dot on his heart as no Russian would have worn one!