Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
Can't quite make my mind up. Its great that every club has a chance of the final at the start of the season. But there will be a lot of meaningless games from now on as you point out. Even within the top group after a game or two. Clubs are taking through the points they gained against the other team that qualified from their group. If a team don't take many points in with them and then lose the first game they could be looking at nothing to play for.

I wonder if it may work a little bit better with the top group of 6 who play each other twice as at present. Then a bottom group of 12 who only play each other once. Could then have a shield game maybe for the top 2 in the lower group
That’s a decent shout. Didn’t realise the points were carried through, definitely in favour of there being a clean slate in the second phase.

I’m not as worried about dead rubbers so much as it’s hard to argue there weren’t plenty of dead rubbers in the original format and then the two division format. I do think this format gives the opportunity for a bit more overall excitement all round, at least for half a season.

I think if you added some jeopardy into the second stage with a form of promotion / relegation (similar to the Nations League in a way) that translates into getting a better seeding (or avoiding a worse one) for the next season at least gives you something to play for in the second phase of the season with minimal changes required to the structure. Maybe division 2/3 trophies or something as well so it feels like some honours are involved.

Looking like this game is headed for a handshake at 5 at the moment. Although given how we’re batting…