I hate it. I basically take one of three approaches, none of which is ideal:

1) Avoid it completely by monitoring emails while on holiday. Pros: return to the office is much smoother; I'm not worrying about something going wrong in my absence. Cons: my mind doesn't really get time off; sometimes means I end up worrying about stuff that is happeing, and I will normally lose 30 mins at least each day dealing with stuff.

2) Leave my work phone at home and give my PA a way to contact me in emergencies while I am away; then spend the Monday back trawling through emails and workign out what has actually been done to progress things in my absence. Pros: the first part of the holiday is super relaxing.... Cons) .....but I tend to worry more about what I'm going back to at the end of the holiday. Plus that MOnday back is a ball-ache

3) As above, but I state on my OOO that I may not read emails received while away and then wait for people to chase me for anything that was important when I'm back. Pros: Most relaxing; more stuff progresses while I am out; no awful email trawl on the first day back. Cons: some might consider it to be pretty shabby service; risk that something important gets missed.